Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4K refuses to connect to WiFi -- even after factory reset!

@kbrown65 whether you want to hear it or not, knowing the specific model number is of vital importance when troubleshooting. In almost all cases of WiFi connection problems, the problem is NOT the Roku, but a setting in the router that the user wasn't aware of, often changed by the ISP without the user's knowledge. I have seven different Roku devices in my home. Five of them connect to WiFi, using two different access points on my network. Some are 2.4 GHz, while others are 5 GHz. They all work without an issue. So there's no inherent issue with the Roku OS. 

Sometimes it's the Roku hardware, mostly with a Roku TV. The TCL brand seemed to be the most common one with hardware issues, often as simple as a bad solder joint on the WiFi antenna connection. But Roku TVs are built and supported by 3rd party companies, not Roku. So that's another reason to ask those questions, to see if you need to contact the TV manufacturer. Of course, on occasion Roku has hardware issues themselves with their players. In the US they offer a one year warranty, and from what I've seen they are very good at supporting their products. 

But I do wish Roku had an email address for direct hardware support. This community forum is not designed for technical support. But in many cases someone here can provide the answer someone needs to make their Roku work as intended. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
BlacSABBATH
Binge Watcher

YEAH SAID A MOUTH FULL THEN THEY NEEDS TO DO A WHOLE NEE SYSTEM REBOT  LIKE THEY DO FOR YOUR PHONE A SOFTWARE UPDATE TO FIX THESE PROBLEM AN STOP MAKING IT SO COMPLICATE THE COMPANY THAT BUILT THEM ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CABLECOMPANY STANDARDS THEY KNEW EVERYTHING ELECTRONIC WAS UPGRADING TO 5G BUT THEY STILL STUCK IN THE 2G NETWORK  MAKES NO **bleep** SENSE  

0 Kudos
Sjk1979

I am trying to reset Roku to WI-FI as soon as I hit connect it goes to wireless without allowing me to select WI-FI first so it won’t continue set up

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Sjk1979 let's back up a little. What model Roku do you have? When you say reset, are you referring to a factory reset, a network connection reset, or simply a system restart/reboot? 

What are you seeing on the screen once the dancing Roku logo has left the screen, are you on the home screen or in a setup screen like a new device?

Dan

0 Kudos
Sjk1979

Choose my name put in password hit connect it immediately goes to wireless it says signal strength is excellent 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Sjk1979 wrote:

Choose my name put in password hit connect it immediately goes to wireless it says signal strength is excellent 

You didn't answer what I asked. What model Roku do you have (model number, not name)? Was this a full factory reset?

Dan

0 Kudos
Lesley17
Reel Rookie

I have a hisense roku tv, had it less than a year. It won't take my wifi, I have unplugged tv and wifi and I have factory reset. Nothing is working. Help please

0 Kudos
renojim

"Won't take my Wi-Fi"?  What does that mean?  Do you get any error messages or codes when when you try to connect to Wi-Fi"

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lesley17
Reel Rookie

Wifi is good it's my roku I get 1430 as error message, 

0 Kudos
Dorey
Reel Rookie

It was the password with me. It didn’t like the password I had after resetting it. So changed it to simple password and it worked and then updated 

0 Kudos