Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frustrated177
Reel Rookie

Roku 3 player is plugged in, rebooted many times . Is failing to work.

Jump to solution

In order of completion:

- turn on tv

- Player’s white light turns on (blinks, then goes solid)

- channel menu appears on tv

- remote (with fresh batteries) fails to command Roku 3 player

- subesequently … WHEN ROKU SCREEN SAVER COMES ON, PLAYER’s WHITE indicater LIGHT TURNS OFF.

Ideas, thoughts appreciated.

Hey 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 player is plugged in, rebooted many times . Is failing to work.

Jump to solution

What you're seeing with the light is normal - it goes off when the screensaver activates. You may just need to pair the remote again.  My preferred method for pairing a remote is to press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment until the light starts flashing, set the remote down next to the Roku device, and only then connect the power to the Roku device.  When it finishes booting hopefully it will pair with the remote.

The Roku 3 and presumably the remote you're using are getting pretty old at this point, so it's possible for one or the other to be bad.  When the Roku 3 displays the Home Screen do you see the clock in the upper right hand corner or "Not connected"?  If the clock is displayed then it's connected to the Internet, so that would point to the remote.  If "Not connected" is displayed then that would point to the Roku 3.  If the clock is displayed then you can try the Roku app on your phone/tablet and use it as a remote or get a cheap universal remote that supports Roku devices.

For the Roku app:  Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What you're seeing with the light is normal - it goes off when the screensaver activates. You may just need to pair the remote again.  My preferred method for pairing a remote is to press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment until the light starts flashing, set the remote down next to the Roku device, and only then connect the power to the Roku device.  When it finishes booting hopefully it will pair with the remote.

The Roku 3 and presumably the remote you're using are getting pretty old at this point, so it's possible for one or the other to be bad.  When the Roku 3 displays the Home Screen do you see the clock in the upper right hand corner or "Not connected"?  If the clock is displayed then it's connected to the Internet, so that would point to the remote.  If "Not connected" is displayed then that would point to the Roku 3.  If the clock is displayed then you can try the Roku app on your phone/tablet and use it as a remote or get a cheap universal remote that supports Roku devices.

For the Roku app:  Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Frustrated177
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, Renojim -

Successfully re-paired remote with Roku3 player.

0 Kudos