Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJ881
Channel Surfer

Plz Help: 014.30 error code

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I’m running into the frustrating error code 014.30 with my Roku Express. I’ve looked at other posts and I’ve literally tried it all (reset Roku and router, updated Roku, forgot device from router, etc) and even have tried factory resetting my device. Nothing seems to work.

I was able to connect wirelessly via my phone hotspot but not to my home wifi. Which doesn’t make sense because my home wifi has a strong signal and no issues. It was also working perfectly for months until this morning when it randomly wasn’t connected. Unfortunately, I cannot use my phone hotspot for streaming as it’s my work phone. Other people in the house have their Rokus working and are connected wirelessly. I think there has to be something wrong with the Roku itself. Any help. Please and thank you!

Sincerely frustrated Roku owner,

Jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Plz Help: 014.30 error code

Jump to solution

@JJ881 

Both the Roku Ultra and the Roku Express 3960 are dual-band devices.  To see which band your devices are using from within Roku, you can go to Settings/Network/About.

From here, you can look at "Wireless Channel".  For the 2.4ghz band, you will see a channel between 1 and 11.  For the 5ghz band, you will see a channel 36-48, or 149-165.

------

In order to change the settings for the TG1682, you can either login to the router or use the Xfi app.  Follow the instructions from this Xfinity link and post back if you have any questions. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Make sure you see the 2.4ghz radios enabled, that you change/Edit the Wireless Mode to b/g/n, and that you restart both the router and your Roku devices after making the changes.  The ability to change settings should be available for this router, but in case Xfinity has now blocked this router from accepting changes (options greyed out), you will need to contact Xfinity to make the changes for you.  I have not seen reports that they have removed the ability to change this router though, so you should be good to go.

Here is a walkthrough so you know what to expect and see what you are doing, from a previous thread of this particular issue. https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JJ881,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with your Roku device not connecting with your home network. We apologized for the inconvenience this has caused. We can understand how that may be frustrating. 

We would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet | Official Roku Su...

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing

• What Roku model device are you using?
  • If the affected device is a Roku Express or Roku Premier, please note that both devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router broadcasts a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect.
  • Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
JJ881
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F ,

Answers to your questions below:

• My Roku Express model is 3930X
  • This Roku worked perfectly for months and randomly stopped working this morning, so I would assume it’s a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. Similarly, we have other models in the house that are connected with no issues.
  • The router is only 12ft away. 

Is there any other assistance you can provide?

thanks!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@JJ881 

"Similarly, we have other models in the house that are connected with no issues."

If you have other Roku models that are dual-band capable (can use either 2.4ghz or 5ghz band), there is a possibility they are using the 5ghz band.  Feel free to post back with the model numbers of the working Roku devices (found under Settings/System/About).

For the Express 3930, you will need to verify that the 2.4ghz band of your network is actually Enabled and working.  Additionally, if you have a cable ISP (Cox, Xfinity/Comcast, AT&T), you may need to verify that under your 2.4ghz Wireless Settings, that your "Wireless Mode" is set to b/g/n. (due to the firmware of some of these cable ISP leased routers).  If you have Spectrum, some users have reported that their 2.4ghz band has been disabled without their knowledge.

It is a good sign that your 3930 is connecting to your hotspot, so looks to be a network setting at first glance causing your issue.

Feel free to clarify your issue by reporting back with the working Roku model numbers, your ISP (internet service provider), and your router model number.

0 Kudos
karrm18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

same exact issue here. I was watching something on my Roku this morning. suddenly it said internet error and I haven't been able to connect to my home wifi ever since. same error code as you. my wifi is working fine. I have 3 routers, one literally inches away from my Roku and have never had any issues for years now. so it's definitely not a weak signal thing. also my Roku immediately connected to my phone's hotspot no problem. however that is a problem for me, as I definitely want it connected to my home wifi instead of using my cellular data. 

also I already know the typical check connection this and that. thing is that it's been working fine for years. suddenly stopped midmovie this morning and hasn't been able to connect to any of 3 wifi networks. which nothing has changed with my wifi. so router or internet settings shouldn't even be an issue (though I did the basic resets) but like settings and stuff shouldn't need to randomly be changed after years of working fine. to me it seems a sudden Roku issue. maybe an issue arose between Roku and TMobile internet. I have no idea but the basic "check connection" **bleep** isn't working here 

0 Kudos
karrm18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address

found this with my rokus Mac address in router logs 

0 Kudos
JJ881
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F,

Here is the info on the other Rokus in the house.

• Roku Ultra LT | model: 4662X
  • Roku Express | model: 3960X

The service is through Xfinity and they provided the router, so it’s leased. The router is an Arris | model: TG1682G. 

For the Express 3930, how do you verify that the 2.4ghz band is Enabled and working? I believe it is enabled if the other Express (the 3960) is working in the house but please correct me if I’m wrong. Do you happen to have further instructions on how to verify the 2.4ghz Wireless Settings, in the "Wireless Mode" and is set to b/g/n? I’m not sure where to check on that.

Our Wi-Fi doesn’t have both bands listed when searching for networks, just the one. I know some places have the network name and 2.4. Similarly, the network name and 5 listed. Ours only give one option but it is a dual band router.

Thank you,

Jay

0 Kudos
karrm18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think it's a security issue or something that changed on rokus side. I turned off all security on a router and it connected 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@JJ881 

Both the Roku Ultra and the Roku Express 3960 are dual-band devices.  To see which band your devices are using from within Roku, you can go to Settings/Network/About.

From here, you can look at "Wireless Channel".  For the 2.4ghz band, you will see a channel between 1 and 11.  For the 5ghz band, you will see a channel 36-48, or 149-165.

------

In order to change the settings for the TG1682, you can either login to the router or use the Xfi app.  Follow the instructions from this Xfinity link and post back if you have any questions. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Make sure you see the 2.4ghz radios enabled, that you change/Edit the Wireless Mode to b/g/n, and that you restart both the router and your Roku devices after making the changes.  The ability to change settings should be available for this router, but in case Xfinity has now blocked this router from accepting changes (options greyed out), you will need to contact Xfinity to make the changes for you.  I have not seen reports that they have removed the ability to change this router though, so you should be good to go.

Here is a walkthrough so you know what to expect and see what you are doing, from a previous thread of this particular issue. https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@karrm18 

If you are using a Wifi6 router, for your issue, verify that you are using WPA2 as your security protocol.  You can certainly use WPA2/WPA3, but Roku devices cannot currently use WPA3, so need to have WPA2 enabled.

Feel free to post back with router model number.  Also, did you verify that the MAC address in the log matched with your Roku device?

0 Kudos