Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hypergreatthing
Reel Rookie

Re: No wi-fi 6 on any Roku devices.

802.11ax (wifi 6) has been out since 2019.  4 years later roku stand alone streaming products haven't been updated.  It's not even a cost issue since you can buy pcie adapters for around 20$ that support even wifi6E at this time (intel chip ax210).

hdmi to composite adapters are like 15$ on amazon.  

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Not true the plus series TVs have wifi 6. Manufactured by Roku.

0 Kudos
Hypergreatthing
Reel Rookie

That's not a stand alone streaming product such as their sticks and boxes.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I don't own a player I have a few TVs made by Westinghouse and sharp that came with wifi 5 when wifi 5 was all available from all the different manufacturers. My sharp will be 5 years old. Wifi 7 is what I have been waiting for a while. I currently have an AX router.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

@Hypergreatthing wrote:

802.11ax (wifi 6) has been out since 2019.  4 years later roku stand alone streaming products haven't been updated.  It's not even a cost issue since you can buy pcie adapters for around 20$ that support even wifi6E at this time (intel chip ax210).

So in about 20 years, Wi-Fi 6 will be as old (and maybe as cheap) as gigabit ethernet is today. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

@Hypergreatthingyou can always buy an apple TV device, fire tv device or Google TV device if you want wifi 6. Wireless 7 is already here but no devices except for routers until later this year. When my TVs fail the oldest is almost 5 years old now. Perhaps, Roku will be putting wifi 7 in the plus series TVs in the future.

0 Kudos
4Robert

Its all about how much bandwidth is available. If it just you and your spouse in the house then all of your devices wont be enough to suck up all the bandwidth. But if you have 4 or 5 people in your household, then the bandwidth gets used up by everyones devices. Not to mention if you have a party and people would like to use your wifi. Wifi 6e has a lot more bandwidth to give out and if your Roku can use that, then there is less of a chance your super bowl stream will pause or glitch during the party.

Side Note: Wifi 6e also has wider range, so the wifi tv that's farthest away will less likely drop the signal. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

@4RobertRoku TVs plus series are WIFI 6. If you need a 6E device get a fire tv device.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I would like to get away from WPA2, because WPA3 is more secure. Sharp has a new Roku TV with an OLED screen this TV cost $2500 with a wireless AC adapter.

0 Kudos