Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filmteknik
Binge Watcher

Is Firmware 13.0.0 buggy?

My 3900X is now failing and given Roku's habit of buggy firmware, I wonder if firmware 13.0.0 (Build 24056) may be to blame.  Anyone else having this issue?

Start watching something and a short time in it just stops.  I'm suddenly offline.  Go to setup, set up connection, wireless, and NO wifi sources are shown where there would normally be a half dozen or more.  Cycle that page a few times but nada.  NO Wifis.

Power cycle the Roku.   Sometimes it will come back the same way, with no wifi sources.  Otherwise if it comes back in a normal state, it reconnects and no manual action is needed.  It does this all the time now.  But I don't think it enters this state when not actively viewing.  I usually leave it back on menu before going off turning off the tv or viewing a non Roku source and upon going back to Roku it will still be online at that point so seems related to actually viewing a stream.

---

Yes, they have horrible firmware.  I once had a fairly new one update and could then no longer go online.  They sent me a replacement.  I connected it to wifi, it checked for a firmware update, downloaded, rebooted, and could no longer connect.  They had introduced a bug that made it incompatible with my WiFi.  They told me to get a new router.  Some sort of intentional security requirement for my own protection?  No.  Because I discovered some updates later that the Roku device became compatible once again with the older type router so if it was an important security requirement that would not have been done.  It was a bug pure and simple.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is Firmware 13.0.0 buggy?

@filmteknik 

It can be taken as a given that any new release of an OS will contain bugs.  It really shouldn't, but it is what it is nowadays.

However, the device you have (3900 Express), although still supported by Roku is a bit light on the memory resources available (512mb) while many of these channels/app have gotten a bit more resource hungry and the Roku OS a bit more bloated.

The last couple of software updates seem focused on memory management to allow more of the devices to still run, but there comes a time when an upgrade is necessary so your device can just work without having to struggle to keep up.

As for the network issues, the older Roku devices (like the 3900 and other 2.4ghz-only devices) ran into issues with some ISP (internet service providers) that were limiting/disabling legacy protocols on their networks so users needed to have to configure their routers to use b/g/n on those affected.  (some may have indicated for security reasons, but inaccurate, and was implemented by ISP simply to preserve their "health" of their networks.)

----

It may just be time to bite the bullet and buy one of the newer Roku devices like the Express 4k+ (3941) which is currently on sale for $30.  The newer Express 3960 HD is on sale for $20, but for the extra $10 you get a better device and a better remote. https://www.roku.com/products/players

All the newer devices are now dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz), and have enough memory capabilities to run the OS and the channels/apps.

I personally just retired an older RokuTV that was struggling and increasingly giving me issues.  There just comes a time when an upgrade is the easiest approach.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

tsesee
Binge Watcher

Slow Wireless after Update

Just checked the wireless speed on my TCL Roku 50S535. It was usually in the 180s. Now it's in the 80s. This is after the update to 13.0.0 24056. My Roku Ultra, sitting next to the TV is running the same update and is getting 231. I have a network with three TP-Link routers with two as AP. The one next to this TV and the Ultra is an AX model as an AP. I did try connecting to another AX router and got the same result.

Looks like the TCL Roku update is a bit different from the Roku device update.  Anyone else seeing this?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Slow Wireless after Update

Hi, @tsesee @filmteknik 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the changes in the network speed on your Roku TV after the Roku update, and we appreciate you for bringing this matter to our attention. For this matter, we'd like to collect further details regarding the issue so our team can review this case, and an investigation will be conducted.

Kindly provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have the requested information, our team will promptly work on the issue and take all necessary actions to address it.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tsesee
Binge Watcher

Thanks for replying. Here's all the info I could find. I hope it's what you need.

50S535  A118X

X003003A9C42

S05My0AA9C42

13.0.0  24062-88

Issue 42-226-144

That's everything I could find. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @tsesee 

Please be advised that we have forwarded your concern to the appropriate Roku team for your concern to be reviewed and further investigated. This will worked on, and will be handled accordingly.

In the meantime, we recommend following the steps below to address the issue.

Restart your Roku TV

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Restart your network connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

After the network reset is done, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again. It is also recommended to restart your network modem/router for better results.

For more information, you can be guided by this support article on How to improve the Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection to your Roku streaming device

We hope for your patience as we work on the issue, and let us know if the steps provided above helps.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
KobyTromp

Thanks for those steps, I will try them and if I still face this issue, I will update you by starting my own thread.

0 Kudos
tsesee
Binge Watcher

I am now completely baffled. I was going to perform the steps you provided (Thank You BTW). I decided to check the connection before doing so. It's now running at the correct speed. I checked the Update status and it hasn't changed (6/4 last update). I then checked the uptime to see if there was a restart: Nope, uptime was 8 days. The only thing I can attribute it to is doing the steps to get the info you asked for. So, that problem is solved for me but I have no other idea how it may have happened . Roku Magic!

FYI. I'm not a novice at all this. Although I'm 83 and long retired, I had a long career in the IT field including Network Admin for two companies, owned my own consulting firm and wrote custom software, and was a traveling technical advisor for  a major consulting firm. None of which helped me solve this problem.

Thanks again for your time and help.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.