Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet connection is fine but ROKU won't connect.

Jump to solution

@aholbrook99 wrote:

What if you don’t have Xfinity? 

Xfinity is the most common, but the same issue could happen with other modems. Check your settings as previously described. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Bomber501
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What is "b/g/n" "g/n" and where do you find those settings?                                          

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Bomber501

Thanks for reaching out. 

B/g/n and g/n can be changed through your router settings. If you need help modifying your router, we recommend reaching out to your internet service provider as they are the best ones to help you with that matter.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Madhatter5

Jump to solution

OK, This may be my problem too. Hello moderator - please read my ticket # 5921398. Everything seems to be connected - wiFi, Internet, but my device just will not connect. Will you please read my ticket and advise me, as other Roku employees have not been able to help?  Thank You, C

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Madhatter5

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us who your internet service provider is? If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Madhatter5

Jump to solution

Hi ROKUKariza-D  Thanks for responding. We live in a small town - we have no cable TV - our internet provider is Frontier.com, a Telephone company. It is just frustrating, as a Frontier tech set it up and it worked fine for about 12 hours, then, completely quit - the only thing we can get is the master Roku screen. Do you think the advice you just gave me will solve the problem?   Thanks, Madhatter5

0 Kudos
Bomber501
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm with Xfinity. I have yet to contact them about the problem which is the same as MadHatter5.

This happened a couple weeks ago, was fine for 2 weeks, then today started up again.

I've re-booted both the Roku and my modem a few times. These last few minutes Roku has slowly been working again but is very sporatic. Roku is showing as connected again, but the channels on Pluto for instance are intermittent and will show the channel for like 30 seconds, go black, then reappear then disappear again.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Bomber501 wrote:

I'm with Xfinity. I have yet to contact them about the problem which is the same as MadHatter5.

Xfinity does use one of the cable modems that has issues with Roku devices. If you lease the modem from Xfinity, you won't be able to change the mode to B/G/N. They lock the user from changing many of the WiFi settings. You can rename the SSID and turn the radios off and on. That's almost all you can do. No ability to change the channel, the mode or channel width. 

You have two options for adjusting your WiFi settings. One is to ask Comcast tech support to make the changes you need. They should do it if you ask, but you might get pushback too. Your other option is to put the Xfinity modem in Bridge mode and install your own personal router, which gives you access to absolutely total control of all settings. This is what I did after spending 6 months trying to get port forwarding to work. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Bomber501
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is driving me crazy. Xfinity helped me add another Wi-Fi profile for 5 GHz, it been set for 2.4.

It won't accept that either.

When I go to the network list on Roku the new Wi-Fi profile isn't even listed I have to manually enter it in. 

I keep entering in the password and it keeps telling me that it's unable to connect to wireless network.

It is also not accepting the password for my previous profile using 2.4.

This is incredibly annoying

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Bomber501 What model Roku do you have? Not all support 5 GHz.

The problem you're having sounds suspiciously like your router is using a channel unsupported by Roku devices. On 2.4 GHz, Roku can only see channel 1 through 11. If your router is set to channel 12, 13 or 14, it won't appear in the WiFi window, just like you're seeing. Comcast doesn't permit the user to change the channel, so you will need to ask them to do it. 

Dan

0 Kudos