Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skypster
Reel Rookie

Internet connection is fine but ROKU won't connect.

Jump to solution

I posting this because while I think I found the answer here, I wanted to verify with 'the experts':-)
Also, I'm posting this for my sisters, who are 1100 miles away. My sister and her husband recently got a ROKU for my other sister because they cancelled her cable TV service and are going to full streaming per my suggestion.

Anyway, once she had internet service set up, they set up the ROKU with no problems. However, Comcast office screwed up and shut off her internet service a week later. She's getting that free internet becasue she's disabled and on a very low fixed income....

SO my older sister and her husband were there today to reset everything and she does indeed have internet service but she can't watch anything using the ROKU (and that's all she'll have). They tried a factory reset and that didn't work, although, I'm not sure if they did it right (I"m not there).

Also, they said they got an error code but can't recall the code:-(.....

So I'm thinking that it a setting on my sisters Xfinity app on her phone. She was told that she had to have the app for them to start the service.

They won't be able to go there to do that for her until tomorrow. So just in case, is there anything else they can check?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet connection is fine but ROKU won't connect.

Jump to solution

Since they have Comcast/Xfinity, make sure the wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.                                          

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
atc98092

Jump to solution

Recently cable companies have been disabling the 2.4 GHz radio in their customer's routers. No idea why, but they've been doing it. Depending on the Roku model, that might be the only radio band that is supported. If 2.4 is enabled, the next thing to check is the channel in use. Roku devices will only see channels 1 through 11. If the router is set to 12, 13 or 14, Roku can't see it. The routers are usually set to Auto for the channel, so I recommend manually setting it on 1, 6 or 11. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Skypster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass it on.

The odd is that they had it all working just fine a week ago and then Comcast turned off her service by mistake. But they told me the WiFi is working on their phones and the ROKU says it's connected. But nothing on the ROKU works....(the apps)

But I'll pas on the info. Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If the Roku says it's connected to the WiFi, then there's no issue with the assigned channels. If the channel used was unsupported, the Roku wouldn't even see it. If it's connected but not actually reaching the Internet, then there's likely something in the router that is misdirecting the connection. I would first use the Network Connection Reset function in the Roku to wipe away all previous network connection information, then link it up again anew and see if it can now reach the Internet. If it can't, there's something wrong in the router, but as I've never played with a Comcast router I have no clue what it might be. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If the internet service is provided on a "social" basis then provider may be blocking streaming with devices like Roku (connects locally to WiFi but not to streaming services or Roku servers). Other internet might work fine in that situation.

Try other diagnosis tests first, then go back to ISP to ask what they block on the contract.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Since they have Comcast/Xfinity, make sure the wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.                                          

I am not a Roku employee.
Skypster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Solved.....

I didn't ask what exactly they changed, but it was within the Xfinity app on my sisters phone, so it was one of the things that was suggested here.

I and my other sister, who had to fix it and knows nothing about this stuff, thank you all:-)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What if you don’t have Xfinity? 

I’m to the point where I feel like my Roku is broken and I’m quite frustrated that there isn’t a phone number to call and talk with someone about this.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @aholbrook99

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@aholbrook99-

The same problem caused by an update to the router has been reported for Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T, but there may be others.  So the fix is the same -- if your router's wifi connection protocols have been set to g/n set them back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's  configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos