Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverGuy369
Reel Rookie

Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Yes I have still been running into this issue and am pretty knowledgeable on the problem. This is across the board on every Roku device (new or used), it is a software bug that happens when trying to use the hotel and dorm connect. Essentially the Hotel/Dorm connect works 50% of the time and when it is having this problem it goes like this:

1. Try to connect on phone using "roku xyz network" and use this "xyz number" as a password and go from there on your device.

2. Try connecting to Roku xyz network (on phone) and without being promoted to the roku starts searching for networks before you can sign into "roku xyz network" (on the phone) and like others say is a "race against the clock to get connected on phone" 

I would recommend you talk to your dev team to code this in a way that the roku is not allowed to start searching for networks (or test network) until the phone prompts it to (on hotel and dorm connect).

17 REPLIES 17
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

@RiverGuy369 wrote:

2. Try connecting to Roku xyz network (on phone) and without being promoted to the roku starts searching for networks before you can sign into "roku xyz network" (on the phone) and like others say is a "race against the clock to get connected on phone" 

I encounters that issue before, and discovered it was the phone that was the problem. When I travel, I have my government phone and iPad, along with my Windows 10 work laptop. I found that often both the phone and the iPad would not give me enough time to reach the hotel's login screen. But using my Windows laptop worked every time. I realize that might not be an option, if you're not traveling with multiple devices. I agree that Roku needs to revamp their hotel connection function. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
ron92646
Binge Watcher

I've tried over and over and over and decided to just use a 3-year old amzon fir-stick and it works great.  Do I prefer Roku, yes (and all over my home is Roku)!  But at a hotel it ain't worth continuing wasting time when you can get one for $25.  

Dave_ROK
Binge Watcher

I gave up also and bought a Fire stick for use when traveling.  While I generally like the Roku interface, I grew tired of banging my head against the wall while Roku ignored all the comments and made believe the issue didn’t exist. 

0 Kudos
lexxxx1891
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

how do you call a service worker , what is the number because all that pulls up is some robotic chats 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have to say, I’m in Las Vegas right now, and I had no issue connecting my Stick 4K+ to the MGM network. This device has connected to a different hotel network, but not this chain. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @lexxxx1891

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Wootton
Binge Watcher

Lol lol lol 

there are 15 pages of posts and details on this single thread alone. 

the problem is reproducible on most hardware sets, presumably as the network connectivity sw module is common to all sw builds…

seriously is there a ticket for this internally or is roku just going to continue having mods reply to every message “tell me more” and not actually investigate themselves?

Darkitec
Channel Surfer

It's been months now and they are asking the same question.   Obviously a live person isn't actually reading these, they've just set up some sort of bot that make is seem as though ROKU really cares. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Darkitec
Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to assist you, but will need more specific information about what you are experiencing. Have you already made sure to follow the instructions outlined on our Support page here: Hotel & Dorm Connect?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos