Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilbert0331
Reel Rookie

Have wifi but can't connect to internet

Jump to solution

Have excellent wifi connection, but the tv won't connect the internet. I tried the restart, checked for updates, unplugged the tv and modem, but still nothing. Has to do with the main roku department. People are experiencing the same. Can we get it resolved, please?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have wifi but can't connect to internet

Jump to solution

Hi @brosini,

Thanks for the first post to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the issue you've been experiencing with your Roku device. We suggest rebooting your router by unplugging it for about 60 seconds and replugging it again.

If error 003 still occurs, we can also try connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless connection, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue.

For more information about that specific error message, visit our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device cannot update software?

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jules87
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue.

My wireless works perfect for everything else in my home. My laptop is right beside the tv and works great but the tv won't connect. 
The connection has always worked before... The TV hasn't moved. The router hasn't moved. There shouldn't be any issues. 

I tried everything but unplugging my router because my internet is working perfectly. It can't be a router issue. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

We need to know more information.

• First, who is your ISP? Is it a cable company? Do they provide your modem/router or did you purchase one? 
  • Can you see your network, and just can't connect, or is your network not shown in the list of available network connections?

ISPs (and cable companies in particular) have been known to remotely alter some settings in your modem/router that can make them either not connect to a Roku or not be visible at all. If they provide the modem/router, then they have the ability to make such changes. For example, some have turned off the 2.4 GHz radio, only leaving the 5 GHz radio on. Some Roku players only support 2.4 GHz. ISPs have also been known to change the WiFi channel used, and there are channels on both radio bands that Roku devices cannot use. They have also altered the 2.4 GHz radio mode, and there's a known issue with some specific modems/routers that altering the mode makes a Roku unable to connect.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gilbert0331,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand, and thank you for letting us know about having trouble connecting your Roku device to your network and for the troubleshooting steps you took to resolve the issue. We'd be delighted to look closely to see how we may assist you in getting started.

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages?
  • Who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

Also, we recommend looking for more steps from our Support page here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or internet?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jules87
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I'm with Cogeco. 

The TV is connected to the internet. I'm able to use all of the other apps on the tv except the The Roku Stick. It won't work. It says it's can't find any connections. Nothing comes up for wireless yet the TV is connected. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jules87 So, your Roku Stick (which operates completely independent of your TV) cannot see your network, correct? First, the Stick has a dual band WiFi radio, so if your ISP turned off the 2.4 radio you should still see the 5 GHz radio. However, there are channels in the 5 GHz band that your Roku Stick cannot use. If the channel is between 49 and 148, your Roku will not even see the WiFi.

The only way to change that is to change the setting in your modem/router. Depending on your ISP, you might not have permission to change that setting. But if you can log into your router, you can see if the channel selection is on Auto (it probably is) and see if you can manually set a channel number below 49 or above 148. For the 2.4 GHz radio, the channel should be 1, 6 or 11. If it's using 12, 13 or 14, again your Roku will not see it.

If your ISP does not allow you to access those settings, then you need to contact their tech support and ask them to make the changes. Don't let them tell you the settings must be set to auto, because that's just them being lazy. You need to ensure your modem/router is operating in a way that permits all your devices to connect.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Alawren8

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue with Roku TV. Charter internet. All other wifi devices working. Mesh network that says everything is good. The tv sees my network and says has excellent strength but just won’t connect to it. 

Gilbert0331
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So I have onn roku tv. No streaming roku stick. Haven't messed with any settings. I have cox internet. Did the steps that were said by the roku team. No change at all

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Alawren8,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you are having a problem with the Roku TV, which will not connect to the internet or your Wi-Fi. We're happy to assist you further. Can you please provide the following information that @RokuJechealR asked above? You may also check the support article that was given above for additional troubleshooting steps.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gilbert0331,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to investigate further this problem that you had on the Roku TV since it will not connect to your internet. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Could you elaborate more about the troubleshooting steps that you have taken so far?
  • When did the issue start?
  • Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to investigate even more.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.