Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TK128
Reel Rookie

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Hi Kash / Roku Moderator, 

Is there an update to this issue? There are multiple threads in Roku forum that has the same root issue, but Moderators keep asking for information on specs/etc but no update/solution  is given.

If it's a known issue that's being addressed, can you please provide an update to us Roku users please?! Roku issues keep crashing my Verizon router this past MONTH when it went YEARS without any issues. 

Please if you can provide an update or expectations on timing if there's a software upgrade planned (hopefully imminently) that will fix this. 

0 Kudos
williasp
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@gretalocklear 

So far, it looks like factory reset is the only thing that has worked for several posters.  I'm going on four days now with no connection issues.  I'm hoping that continues.  I was skeptical but figured I would give it a try.

In my case, it wasn't bad because I really don't have any apps I need to use.  It's my basement TV so it's only used while on the treadmill.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @TK128 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community. 

We understand your concern regarding having the same issue as reported by other Roku Community users in this thread. For this issue, kindly be advised that we're currently aware of it, and our team is investigating it further.

As we collect the requested details aforementioned in the above post, these are essential in fostering out investigation for it to be addressed by our team. If you have those details available, we encourage you to post it in this thread.

We hope for your understanding as we work on to resolve the issue.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
TK128
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Kash,

Thank you for your reply. Please reference some of the information related to my connectivity issues below...

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Verizon FIOS
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: Verizon Fios G1100
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Roku Ultra
    • Most up to date version 
  • Tracker ID: Will provide next time I lose connection
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
    • Recurring issue after Roku system update approximately May 15 timeframe. Whatever I have streaming starts to buffer and I see Wifi globe on router turn red. 
    • Seemingly at random, multiple apps used (including Disney+, Hulu, ABC News, Fandango/Vudu) showing whatever shows/movies starts buffering, internet stops and crashes my whole router. I can't restore internet services in household until router is reset (turned off/on, also tried factory reset a number of times). Can happen multiple times in one night, but then be ok for a few days, so entirely random. Keeps recurring though so I know it's still an issue. 
    • I've restarted router, factory resort router, bought a new router, factory reset that new router as well, reset connection on Roku, factory reset Roku, unplugged - re-plugged all connections, Reset ONT box, got new ethernet cables, Tried to connect Roku to WIRED - with no solution since it still crashes FIOS router. Tried WIRED connection to brand new TP-Link router and still same issue, so narrowed it down to Roku as root cause (leading me to find this forum). 
    • Also tried disabling WPS in router settings, only connecting to 2G as wireless connection, or Wired connection straight to router, but doesn't fix issue
    • When I factory reset Roku, I did notice that when Roku was installing apps during update, it crashed while it was trying to install Apple AirPlay.  Had to do another full reset and try again. I don't use that  AirPlay at all, so I also turned off thinking that may be the culprit, but still crashes router and loses connectivity after that. 

Anything that you can do to help to help resolve (or provide an update / ETA on fixes\resolution) would be greatly appreciated. I've tried everything on my end to try to fix, but the only other alternative is to not use Roku anymore and switch back to either Fire cube or Google products. 

Thanks and regards,
TK 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @TK128 

We appreciate you providing the information we requested in this thread. This will help us resolve the issue as we investigate it at the moment.

In the meantime, if available, kindly provide your Tracker ID, Device ID and Roku Device Model Number as a follow-up, (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).

We look forward to hearing back your response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
williasp
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Further to my post of July 7, my Phillips Roku TV has connected every day since I did the factory reset.  Fingers crossed this continues.

0 Kudos
TK128
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Kash / @RokuTakashi / Roku Support, 

I've tried the factory reset a few weeks ago but it did not resolve the issue for me. I still have trouble staying connected. Whenever I use ANY app and stream any data through Roku, the router seems like it's pulling down an enormous amount of data and crashes. I know it's the Roku Ultra device because as soon as it starts to buffer, if I press home and exit out of given app, router stays connected. When I start streaming again, it crashes router until I do a full reboot. Hulu has been crashing consistently, but even Spotify causes buffering issues. When I don't use Roku, no other device using Wifi connection in entire household has any issue. 

Using Roku at any point has caused over a dozen crashes to router/system this past weekend alone and below are just the times I was able to grab the tracker IDs for when I was using, but it's occurred other times as well when other family members were viewing.

This is incredibly frustrating and ready to scrap this device altogether if there's no software fix or update in timing to resolution... I must not be the only one since you mentioned you're aware of this issue, but Factory Reset has NOT fixed this on my end. 

Please see my info below:

Model: 4802X - Roku Ultra
Serial number: Ending in V7681
Software version: 13.0.0 - build 24056-C2
GC version: 11.9.19

Crashes / Issues:
Timestamp: 2024-07-13T09:10:24Z
ID 81-279-910

Timestamp: 2024-07-13T09:20:23Z
ID 81-279-920

Timestamp: 2024-07-13T22:30:45Z
ID 81-280-710

Timestamp: 2024-07-14T01:18:36Z
ID 81-280-878

Timestamp: 2024-07-15T00:31:00Z
ID 81-282-271

Timestamp: 2024-07-15T02:07:01Z
ID 81-282-367

Timestamp: 2024-07-15T02:14:17Z
ID 81-282-374

Timestamp: 2024-07-15T02:31:54Z
ID 81-282-391

Any update for timing of fix would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for taking a look and help so far. Regards, TK. 

0 Kudos
profkrowl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuTakashi 

It is getting harder to have understanding when it is a common problem that has been reported since the May update. This is putting wear and tear on our devices. If it isn't resolved soon, perhaps a rollback to before the update that messed it up is in order. 

When you have a toddler screaming at you because you said they could watch Bluey, but have to go through 2-5 minutes of extra stuff before you can even open Disney+, it gets very, very frustrating. 

It seems clear that something happened in the May update, and I would think that it would be a matter of tracking down what changes were made between updates. I imagine it could take a while to comb through, but perhaps it would have gone faster if the Roku team hadn't been in denial about the problem until just recently. I only just received notice that it is now an ongoing investigation. 

0 Kudos
Gongyoo

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Started suddenly. I have tried  all the solutions listed here multiple times as well as internet suggestions. When I finally reconnect by restarting everything and entering password, it shows I have excellent signal strength. When tv is turned off and on again, same not connected message. No permanent fix. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Gongyoo 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us regarding a problem connecting your Roku TV to your network. Please be advised that we're well aware of the issue and that our team is investigating it further.

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Who do you get your internet service from (e.g., Xfinity, Spectrum)?
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: What brand and specific model of router and modem do you have?
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Model (e.g., Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K)
    • Serial Number
    • Device ID
    • Software OS/Version (You can find this information under Settings > System > About)
    • If you have a brand new Roku device, and haven't activated it yet, you can see the serial number and model at the back of the device or on the box that it came with.
  • Tracker ID: When the connection drops, press the Home button 5 times followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. This will generate a Tracker ID. Please provide this number if possible.

Your response is highly appreciated, and we look forward to it.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos