Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dikgabrown
Reel Rookie

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

You have not resolved my problem after several months and the promise to escalate it to a higher level of technical assistance. Please tell me what I can do at this point.

0 Kudos
profkrowl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Rumor has it that there is an update in the works that will release "soon"... Whatever that means. They still haven't been transparent about what is causing the problem, and they still suggest a factory reset despite users saying it has mixed results. 

The problem was definitely introduced sometime around May, and the fact that it is still unpatched is disturbing. Hopefully the patch will drop soon, but at this point I'm not holding my breath much. I've tried having patience, but that is wearing thin. Especially since the mobile app is worthless because of this. It will turn on the TV, which tells me it still has some sort of connection, but then it shows no connection and won't connect to the mobile app, then I system restart using a normal remote, then everything is fine until I turn it off again. 

Starting to wonder if it is time to get the FTC involved. Or a class action for wear and tear. Maybe if we go after the pocketbook things will start moving quicker.

0 Kudos
zlkenney

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issues. I tried the recommended steps but it didn’t fix it. I’m trying a factory reset since that seemed to have some success, fingers crossed!

Madmatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I started to encounter this same issue with my 43" Westinghouse-Roku TV about 2 weeks ago. Usually a Power>System Restart will allow the unit to reconnect successfully, but this is annoying. I did access the secret config menu and tried disabling ping as I read that it worked for people. That had no impact for me. My last step will be to do a Factory Reset but I held off as I have over 70+ apps installed and really don't want to have to go back and login to them all again.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Madmatt,

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We are grateful that you contacted us regarding the connectivity issue of your Roku TV with the internet. We are happy to help.

Troubleshooting steps

1. Power cycle the Roku device for 30 seconds
  2. Restart the router
  3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on your Roku device by navigating to Settings > Advance system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection.
    • Note: Before doing make sure you know your WiFi credentials. 
  4. After the network reset, your Roku device will restart, and you will need to return to the Settings menu to set up your wireless network again.

You can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure there is no issue with your device.

If the issue persists, we recommend performing a manual factory reset.

For additional troubleshooting steps, please visit How to Resolve Internet Errors and Issues on Your Roku Streaming Device.

Suppose the previous steps did not fix your internet connection issue, and you are comfortable working with networking equipment. In that case, you can visit the article with advanced troubleshooting tips and networking features.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kj101

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku tvs and have to do all

of these steps more than once a day!

my mom who has dementia cannot keep track of how to work it so is always needing help. I think I’m ready to toss it and start with another brand that has better service. The “chat” is a waste of time and all this forum is a repeat. Too bad I really wanted to love Roku. 

0 Kudos
dikgabrown
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. My newest ROKU TV has a problem staying connected, and I have to reset the connection. It's not just one step because the TV can't find the Internet, even though after reset, it finds it, and I have to put in my password again. The other two TVs, computers, and phones stay connected, so it has nothing to do with the Internet—only this ROKU TV!

0 Kudos
Madmatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I went ahead and did a full Factory Reset last week. It's been fine ever since and reconnects to my router and internet upon every power up now.  

mmtj1619

Jump to solution

I have a device where we have to unplug the tv each time it powers off.  I wish we didn’t have to do that.  But once it’s plugged back in it connects back to the internet without having to do anything else.  I would love to not even have to unplug it each time.  Hope this helps 

0 Kudos