Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathguy0235
Channel Surfer

Express 4k+ high glitch rate

Hi,

Within the past month, 2 months into ownership, I have begun to experience connection drops that will resolve themselves up to a point. After which I have to power cycle the system in order for it to recognize any Wi-Fi networks. I've cycled the model and router as well, but no improvement. It's gotten so bad that I brought in an older Roku to use in the meantime.

A connection test shows that I have a "Excellent" signal strength on channel 40, but this is at odds with the wireless secret screen showing a glitch rate above 30,000.

What else should I test before requesting a replacement?

Model: 3941X2

Software: 12.0.0 - build 4184-E4

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Express 4k+ high glitch rate

Hi @mathguy0235,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about this experience. We recommend performing a system restart to resolve the issue. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart. Once performed, check to see if the network is now consistently connected to your network.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mathguy0235
Channel Surfer

After performing a system restart yesterday afternoon, the Roku was operating normally. However this morning it began losing and reestablishing a connection until it could no longer do so, even though it could see the Wi-Fi network. I performed another system restart, after which it was able to reestablish a connection.

This overall behavior is not observed with my 4630X, which I placed in the same location as the Express, over the past two weeks.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mathguy0235,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Have you tried restarting your router to see if the issue persists? Also, we recommend restarting both the router and your Roku device to see if the network disconnection issue persists.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mathguy0235
Channel Surfer

Yes, I have previously restarted the router and modem which didn't seem to alleviate the issue occurring on this device.

Over the past day, buffering seemed to be getting worse and worse. Finally this morning the system began lagging and subsequently became stuck buffering until I exited back to home. Where I could see it wasn't connected, and subsequently found that the Roku errored out when trying to locate nearby networks (there are neighboring networks on different channels) until after I performed a restart.

However within 10 minutes of the restart, the Roku again lagged and then hung on buffering, this time prompting me to connect to a network. While it could see networks now, it refused to connect until I again restarted the system. After which, it for the time being seems to be working.

The fact that the system has trouble locating any nearby network makes me think it isn't necessarily an issue with my own network.

murteas

Exact same problem.   I have restarted the roku and router both many times.  I have tried difference channels.   However, the problem persists.   The wi-fi connection just drops eventually, and no wi-fi is recognized at all.

After a restart it will work for a while (1 hour to 1 day) after it will start happening again.

0 Kudos
FireStickNow
Channel Surfer

Same. I ordered a fire stick and tossed the Roku in the trash. Problem solved! 

mathguy0235
Channel Surfer

Hi, do you have any other updates for me? Is this a software issue or hardware issue?

FireStickNow
Channel Surfer

Are you not reading the comments?  It's hardware.  Buy the least expensive firestick.  Channels will all be HD.  Easy set up.  Problem solved.  F Roku.  

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @mathguy0235,

Thanks for the post,

We are sorry to hear about your issue connecting to your Wi-Fi. We are happy to help.

Please try selecting the 2.4 GHz band of your network for all your Roku devices and see if the connection stabilizes. Or we can try an alternate wireless network, like a mobile hotspot.

Let's see how it goes.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.