Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Micheal_J
Reel Rookie

Ethernet port only 10/100 on new Ultras not 10/100/1000

Why did you not go to one Gig for a wired solution that everyone should use if they have wiring in place.  

Apple TV 4K units are 10/100/1000 so the technology exists to put that kind of Ethernet port on your devices. Maybe not for the low end devices but for sure it should be available for the new Ultra devices

Can it be added via a firmware update?

Thank You 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ethernet port only 10/100 on new Ultras not 10/100/1000

Roku has never offered a Gigabit network connection on their players with an Ethernet jack. If you consider their primary use that they were designed for, Gigabit is unnecessary because nothing that streams from the Internet comes close to even Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). No, they cannot be upgraded with a software update. 

There are rumors of a new top end Roku coming this fall, but there's no guarantees that a) one is actually coming and b) no idea if it will finally offer Gigabit Ethernet. 

You can use WiFi and get about 220 Mbps, but that's the limit of what the Roku hardware can handle anyway, so why install (more expensive) Gigabit when the hardware can't come close to using that level of bandwidth. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Micheal_J
Reel Rookie

Wonder why Apple is putting gigabit Ethernet connectivity on their 4k streaming device? Sony Bravia Core movies runs close to 100mbps on the Pure Stream technology movies now. 100mbps will likely be surpassed before a new Roku that is purchased now would need to be replaced. I have the Apple device but hate it’s remote and I like the Roku but without gigabit Ethernet capability I’m not sure about purchasing a new Ultra device now. 

Strega2
Roku Guru

Apple likes to sell high-end stuff.  For example, you can go onto their website and spec out a Mac pro to over $12K.  Roku really seems to be more about the advertisements and subscriptions, so even their “high end” device tends to be pretty “main stream”. 

Even for a consumer who likes the best new stuff, the question of: buy the highest end thing now, vs buy something cheap now and get something even better in the future, possibly for less total money, is never a simple question.

It's a funny thing browsing old/use stuff for sale and thinking: Wow, that piece of junk used to be the highest end product of its day,

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.