Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessyjay11

Error 003 - Can't update software

I have code on tv 003 won't do anything

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
62 REPLIES 62

My name is Michael Harrison and my Roku streaming device reads error code 003 unable to u update software thru mobile hotspot what should I do? Can anybody please help me?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

@harrison97496 wrote:

My name is Michael Harrison and my Roku streaming device reads error code 003 unable to u update software thru mobile hotspot what should I do? Can anybody please help me?

Some cell providers restrict data through hotspots. Sometimes, it's based on the size of the download. Sometimes, it's restricting access to certain servers (often those whose purpose is large downloads). And, depending on your plan, you may be throttled to a speed that Roku thinks you're losing connection. Nearly all (if not all) "unlimited" plans still have a high-speed restriction, and throttle the speed after 20-35 GB during the cycle.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
smc3

It all started when the Roku TV decided it doesn't want to open a single app. 

I have connected the tv to three different internet sources. One of which the only thing connected was the TV. And every app would crash. 

I went ahead and did a power drain on the TV that did nothing. I did a reset on the TV that did nothing but put me in a software update loop. 

I'm sitting here staring at a screen that says checking for new software updates connected to an excellent internet source but is unable to complete the software update check. And then it boosts me back out tells me to connect to internet and does it all over again.  

I contacted support to see if there's something that they could do to help me they told me to do the power drain or try resetting it when I told them that's something I already did they said that they would email me instructions tomorrow. 

NO HELP WHATSOEVER. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.  I wish I came to the site before purchasing the TV to save myself the hassle and money. I'm extremely disappointed. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@smc3

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, did you already try connecting the Roku TV to an alternate wireless network to see if you can finish updating the device and then connecting it back to your home wireless network to see if you are able to connect?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
seabreez11

The solution to error 003 is to use another wireless/internet device (hotspot, mobile jetpack or a neighbor's Wi-Fi with permission) to update software as a workaround. Roku connects to my network without issue but could not perform software update.

Another community member states to remove device(s) from Roku account, but I don't think it's necessary to update software as this was a network connectivity issue.

atc98092

Correct: 003 is a network error. Removing the device from the user account would be of no help.

Since it's working via an alternate Internet source, that generally points to an issue with your home wireless connection. In particular, if your ISP is a cable company, some of them have been pushing an update to your modem that changes the 2.4 GHz radio mode to G/N Only. Due to a software issue with the modem, Roku devices don't like that setting. Instead, the Mode needs to be set on B/G/N. If your ISP has you locked out of making that change, you need to contact their tech support to get it accomplished. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
notafan10000
Reel Rookie

my wifi works fine with all my other wifi devices (phone, tablet, labtops) EXCEPT for roku and this error "003 unable to update software problem " only showed up after two+ years of trouble-free wifi connection. 

This morning at first roku had a different look, I didn't think much of it.  then it seemed to want me to reativate roku (language, wifi connect, etc)

by the way, i had disconnected, reconnected roku at least 10 times today, my wifi connection is extremely strong, after 3+ hours I still get the same 003 error message.

Help!

AvsGunnar

@notafan10000 

Do you have a mobile hotspot available that you can connect the Express to in order to complete the update?

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

notafan10000
Reel Rookie

Thank u so much.  A hot spot was what i needed in deed.  My bad.  Turned out it was user error on my part, because I paused roku on my google wifi.  Because of that roku , couldn’t get WiFi connection.  Once i unpaused roku on google wifi, connection was reestablished.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.