Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting to starlink satellite… even though it says I am on my phone

Jump to solution

@holden007 wrote:

Yeah I'm just going by the product name in my purchase history. I have a feeling there was a software update to the Starlink router that disabled the wireless mode (B?) that this older Roku was dependent on.

Roku has never sold a device that only used 802.11b. They have always supported B/G. Starting in Oct 2009 the HD-XR supported dual band and B/G/N. Starting in Sept 2010 every model has at minimum supported B/G/N, even the single WiFi band players. The newest players still support B/G/N. However, there was a small number of routers in the past that would not allow the Roku to connect if B was disabled (meaning the router was only providing G/N. Those were mostly cable modem/routers, but who knows if the Starlink router has the same issue? So if B mode is disabled, there's a slight possibility that it is blocking the Roku from connecting.

I will add that the newest Roku Express (the lowest priced model) has the latest RealTek chipset and a dual band WiFi radio. I still recommend the Express 4K+ because it's simply a better performing player for only $10 more, it comes with a Voice Remote, and supported 4K/HDR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting to starlink satellite… even though it says I am on my phone

Jump to solution

@Greg16380 we need more detail. What is the model number of your Roku? Also, I've heard that there's one model of Starlink modem that only supports a single device, so a separate router is necessary to connect multiple devices. I don't believe all of their modems are like that, but if yours does that it would completely explain the error you are receiving.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.