Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jk_user
Reel Rookie

Can Roku device be set to search for multiple Wi-fi networks?

I have a Roku "3941X2 - Roku Express 4K+" device.  I normally don't use the remote which came with it, as I have a Harmony universal remote which controls it just fine through my wi-fi network.  When I lose power and it is later restored, my Roku reconnects to my wi-fi automatically and I can resume using it.

The problem is that I occasionally take my device to a friend's house to show him something that he normally cannot access.  I have found that I need to bring the original remote control along to instruct the device to connect to his wi-fi.  It remembers his network and wi-fi password, but I have to use the dedicated Roku remote to tell it to connect.  Once it is connected, I can use my Roku smartphone app to control it through my friend's wi-fi.  Then, after taking my device back home, I need to again use the dedicated Roku remote to connect it back to my own wi-fi- before my universal remote can work again.

Is there any way that the Roku could be set so that on power-up, if it cannot find the last wi-fi it has connected to, it would automatically attempt to connect to the other wi-fi networks in its memory?  This process would be a lot easier if it automatically attempted to connect to both networks upon power-up, attempting either one first and then attempting the other if the first is unavailable.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku device be set to search for multiple Wi-fi networks?

@jk_user 

If both you and you friend set your network/router to use the same SSID credentials (network name and password) that would allow you to switch easily.

Other method would be to use ethernet. (use ethernet adapter with the 3941).

A final method would be to use a hotspot on your friend's phone/mobile device (or tether the hotspot to your friend's network so that it uses network data instead of mobile data).  Name this hotspot so it uses your network SSID credentials.  Then use your Roku mobile app to connect to the hotspot (the Roku is thinking it is connected to the last network/your network).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.