Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NetAlien
Reel Rookie

5GHz WiFi connection failure workaround

Jump to solution

Trying to connect to a 5GHz WiFi always fails; only 2.4GHz connections work.  However, using the Private Network method, enter the SSID of the 5GHz access point, and the password.  That connects.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 5GHz WiFi connection failure workaround

Jump to solution

Hi, @NetAlien 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Depending on the Roku device model, dual-band capable devices connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth. If you check your Roku device, it is capable of connecting to both network bandwidths.

We would recommend reaching out to your internet service provider to get assistance with changing a set-up on your network settings.

We hope this will be sorted out soon, and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ZuH5

Jump to solution

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU @Xvm80 !!!  Your advice allowed me to regain control of my Roku Express and enter my network password.

One of my Roku suddenly stopped accepting my network password while my second unit still connected.  For days I tried resetting Roku, as well as resetting and changing numerous settings on my Xfinity router.  Nothing worked until I changed my network password to remove all symbols but the ones you mentioned. 

I do not understand why my original password worked, symbols and all, but then stopped.  Now Roku will only accept the weak password I just made and will not accept my updating it to include additional symbols.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @NetAlien 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Depending on the Roku device model, dual-band capable devices connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth. If you check your Roku device, it is capable of connecting to both network bandwidths.

We would recommend reaching out to your internet service provider to get assistance with changing a set-up on your network settings.

We hope this will be sorted out soon, and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Xvm80

Jump to solution

Roku network password is not fully compliant with strong policy password.

Symbol # is not accepted (only $,@,&).

So if your Roku wifi connection keep saying 'Not able to connect.. try to restart' dispeate having set wifi on 2.4 or 5Ghz and WPA2-PSK security protocol (not compatible with WPA3 for now). Simplify your wifi password first to connect and update it after to a more strong one.  

ZuH5

Jump to solution

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU @Xvm80 !!!  Your advice allowed me to regain control of my Roku Express and enter my network password.

One of my Roku suddenly stopped accepting my network password while my second unit still connected.  For days I tried resetting Roku, as well as resetting and changing numerous settings on my Xfinity router.  Nothing worked until I changed my network password to remove all symbols but the ones you mentioned. 

I do not understand why my original password worked, symbols and all, but then stopped.  Now Roku will only accept the weak password I just made and will not accept my updating it to include additional symbols.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.