Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SK0RP1AN0
Reel Rookie

(2) Roku TVs are connected to the WiFi signal but the services are completely unusable

Recently, I had upgraded my Spectrum service, replaced my modem and purchased a new TP-Link Mesh Router. I have an LG Smart TV in the living room and it is wirelessly connected to the network and works flawlessly. My son has a TV with a Roku dongle and I recently purchased my daughter an Onn Roku TV.

The very first day I hooked up my daughter's new TV, I connected it to the 2.4ghz connection and it worked amazingly. Also, my son's TV had also been streaming no problem. The following evening, both Roku devices say they are connected to the network, (status says connected) but there are sometimes error codes when I check the network secret menu. (11;18) I have done a bit of research and what it claims is that I need to reset the network by unplugging, waiting, plugging both modem and router back in. No luck. I've also seen a recommendation that says I should change my network ping to (enabled). Nothing. Also, I've done the reset on the remote (Home x5, Up x1, Rewind x2, Fast Forward x2) It will reset but issue isn't solved. I've factory reset the television, unplugged the TV and let it sit for a while, forgot the network and reconnected, tried using 5ghz/2.4ghz. Nothing seems to work. Not to mention, the devices work on a hotspot through my phone but not my WiFi signal?

I haven't had issues before when I had my Linksys router but it's pretty messed up that I can spend X amount of money on new devices, have it work amazingly, purchase a new Roku product and now both of my kids devices are unusable. Looking through the forums, it seems as if this is an ongoing issue and I don't believe it's necessary for any more people to post about it.. ROKU just needs to provide the actual solutions. Please, this is bizarre.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: (2) Roku TVs are connected to the WiFi signal but the services are completely unusable

@SK0RP1AN0 

If you are using a Deco router, there were some issues with Roku devices.  I haven't seen any updates whether this has ever been fixed one way or another.

A previous workaround for the Deco was to create a Guest Network for the Roku devices. (this will stop the mesh from moving the Roku devices around/band-shopping).

Feel free to post the model numbers of the router and the Roku device(s) from Settings/System/About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SK0RP1AN0
Reel Rookie

Re: (2) Roku TVs are connected to the WiFi signal but the services are completely unusable

My router isn’t necessarily a Deco router but it is an Archer AXE7800 and the TV is an Onn 50” 4K UHD HDR10. I did attempt to create a guest network and it still doesn’t work. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@SK0RP1AN0 

Under the Security settings for the Archer AXE7800, do you have them set for WPA2 ?  At the minimum, need WPA2/WPA3, but for troubleshooting would try using WPA2-only.  Then restart both the router and perform a network connection reset on the Roku devices (settings/system/advanced system settings/network connection reset/reset connection).

For mode, make sure AC is enabled.

The Roku devices are not yet wifi6(AX) compatible, so need to make sure wifi5(AC) protocols are still enabled when using a wifi6 router. (namely, that AC is enabled on the 5ghz band and that WPA2-PSK/Personal encryption is being used.)  Do not use the WPA2-Enterprise option, as this is also unsupported on the Roku device.

With your router (Archer AXE7800), the Roku devices will be unable to use the 6ghz band, the AX settings, WPA3, and WPA2-Enterprise.  The RokuTV should be able to use DFS, but you didn't mention the model number of the "Roku dongle" on the other TV, and some Roku devices/dongles do not support DFS. (DFS will only be applicable to the 5ghz band).

Just for troubleshooting, I would disable all the Wifi6 features mentioned above (especially the 6ghz band and the One-Mesh setting if enabled) and then see if Roku devices again connect to router.  If so, then likely just a Settings issue.

2.4 ghz --> n/b/g (disable AX access for now) use WPA2-Personal

5 ghz --> ac/n/a use WPA-2 Personal.  If starts to work, then enable AX as well and try using WPA2/WPA3 

6 ghz --> would disable for now/troubleshooting unless you have some wifi6e compatible devices needing this band.

-----

Also, make sure that any accompanying TP-Link mobile app is not blocking/pausing the Roku devices from connecting to network, (check the permissions).

----

At times, Roku devices have trouble with some newer routers since the router's technology is much more advanced than the older/basic Roku hardware.  Since your devices worked with them initially, just has to be a setting that went askew somewhere. (at first glance)

Feel free to post back with an update.  Note what worked, what didn't.  If all else fails, I would try factory resetting the TP-Link router and try the setup again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.