Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marenick
Channel Surfer

Can someone confirm if Smart Home monitoring is required or not?

Jump to solution

I'm sure most on this board already know that the Roku system is basically the Wyze security system that is re-branded.  I recently purchased the Wyze system thinking I could use it without a required monthly fee for home monitoring.  To my surprise it was NOT allowed.

Upon researching I read that the Roku Smart Home system did allow the system to function without requiring monthly home monitoring.  Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?  Is the system fully functional without home monitoring?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can someone confirm if Smart Home monitoring is required or not?

Jump to solution

@Marenick, sorry, I misread your post and thought only of the cameras.  I don't have experience with the "Home Monitoring" products, but according to the support link you get "push notifications" with or without a subscription as well as the ability to arm/disarm and to view past events for 14 days.  That would probably be enough for me, but others might like the additional benefits of the subscription.

Roku Smart Home Subscription | Cloud Recording. Smart Detection. Professional Monitoring. | Roku

I also edited my original post to reflect information in that support page.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim

Jump to solution

It's definitely not "fully functional" without a subscription, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by "fully functional".  Without a subscription the only way to record videos is using a microSD card in the camera and then you have to take that card out and insert it into a computer to view those videos.  I believe the Wyze cameras at least let you view the videos without removing the card.  I've decided that without a subscription the cameras aren't all that useful, but that's just my opinion.

There's also "Pro Monitoring powered by Noonlight" for Roku Roku Smart Home Monitoring System SE.  I know nothing about that system or subscription.

See this post from @RokuMary-F for additional information:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Using-your-smart-home-devices/Do-I-have-to-subscribe-just-to-use-a-cam...

Marenick
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Can anyone confirm if the entry door & window and the motion sensors function and send notifications without a subscription?

@renojim Thanks for the info about the cameras.  I think I can continue to use my Wyze cameras for that part of my security system.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Marenick, sorry, I misread your post and thought only of the cameras.  I don't have experience with the "Home Monitoring" products, but according to the support link you get "push notifications" with or without a subscription as well as the ability to arm/disarm and to view past events for 14 days.  That would probably be enough for me, but others might like the additional benefits of the subscription.

Roku Smart Home Subscription | Cloud Recording. Smart Detection. Professional Monitoring. | Roku

I also edited my original post to reflect information in that support page.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.