Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brettface
Streaming Star

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2018

"atc98092" wrote:
From January 1, 2018 forward, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.35 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice.
There's still a charge to MPEG-2 decoding. They just lowered the cost.

I'm not so sure!
Under the MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License, royalties are payable for products manufactured or sold in countries with an active MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio Patent at the time of manufacture or sale. 

Because there are no longer any active patents, I read this to mean that any device made or sold after today (or yesterday?) will not incur any royalty/licensing fees.
I'd love to pay Roku (or whoever) freaking fifty cents to unlock this capability on my existing devices, and if that's not an option I'd go out and buy all-new Roku hardware if I had to.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"Brettface" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
From January 1, 2018 forward, the royalty rate for MPEG-2 Decoding Products is $0.35 per unit with right of voluntary termination on 30-days written notice.
There's still a charge to MPEG-2 decoding. They just lowered the cost.

I'm not so sure!
Under the MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License, royalties are payable for products manufactured or sold in countries with an active MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio Patent at the time of manufacture or sale. 

Because there are no longer any active patents, I read this to mean that any device made or sold after today (or yesterday?) will not incur any royalty/licensing fees.
I'd love to pay Roku (or whoever) freaking fifty cents to unlock this capability on my existing devices, and if that's not an option I'd go out and buy all-new Roku hardware if I had to.

Oh, I agree completely. I would gladly pay for a codec package to add MPEG2 video and TrueHD/Master Audio bitstream audio. Don't know if I'd go so far as new equipment. Of course, if you want MPEG2 decoding in a Roku, every Roku TV has it available now. 🙂
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dudley76
Visitor

A firmware update for the Roku Ultra which provides Dolby Vision HDR support, or a new Roku Ultra model which supports this.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

"jeffrok" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
Alexa voice integration.  But since Alexa can only talk to the cloud and roku can only listen locally...  Oh well.

I don't think Roku is going to entertain the idea of making their products Alexa or Google aware.. not since they announced they're coming out with their own smart assistant soon.. which I won't nobody will be buying.

FTFY.  So much for being the "Switzerland of streaming".
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Who knows, maybe people new to smart home equipment will think it's great. I'm too invested in the Amazon ecosystem (in more ways than one) to go away from it..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

Here's another one:  Allow me to opt out of Energy Star savings so I can have the Instant On power setting on my older Roku TVs.
0 Kudos
futurex
Visitor

I would love to be able to have a simple list of the shows I watch and the ability to jump to that show.  Just a simple list that I can add to manually with no upselling.  I honestly forget which shows I'm watching and then a month later will remember! arghhh! 

I was on DirecTV for many years and got used to the Season Pass.  All the newly recorded shows were in one place and I could see them all.  I realize streaming is a different animal but the Smart Search just doesn't do it.  I want to see what I'm watching in a list, a list that I add shows to.  Not just a list of everything I've watched.  And it needs to be very very simple, just a list of the show and when I click on it it takes me to the main page of that show and I can decide which episode to watch next. 

Thanks!
FutureX
Roku Ultra > Vizio M70-C3 (4K) > Sony STR-DH770 (ARC)
Roku Streaming Stick + > Vizio E48u-D0 (4K) > Vizio Soundbar SB4551-D5 (ARC)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

I'll ask for it again..

A feature all of my modern LCD and plasmas other than my Roku TCL tv have had, and that's the power state setting.. being able to set it to Last State would let people in kiosks/demo areas, as well as people plugging their TV's into smart plugs, able to have the TV return to its previous power state after a loss of power.

Thanks..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
steveh11284
Visitor

It would be nice if FandangoNow had more functionality within the Roku interface. I have over 500 movies and it would be great if I could sort by date added, alphabetically, or by genre. I never watch movies through Fandango/Roku and just go through other streaming apps to access my digital library because of the lack of this capability.
0 Kudos
MamaNooby
Visitor

Custom remote button to jump to your favorite channel.
0 Kudos