Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike1597
Visitor

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

A workaround would be a switched powerstrip.  The TV set is connected to the control outlet, when the TV is turned on, the powerstrip will detect consumption and activate the relay so power will be available on the controlled outlets.  Just plug Ruku and anything else you want powered off into the relay outlets.  They cost about $20 and up.
0 Kudos
bozzy

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

"glasspilot" wrote:
"Coach David" wrote:

My Roku continues to stream after I press the power button on the Roku remote.

Roku says it does not put the Roku to sleep.

Can this button also send the home comand so the streams stop?

This seems like a minor feature request that will help us conserve our data, power, and bandwidth.

The Roku remote does not have a power button. Just a "Home" button. Just press the Home button and turn your TV off. When on the Home screen, your Roku will not use bandwidth.

Newer Rokus with the enhanced remote certainly do have a power button. Whether or not Roku could update the remote to send the home command and IR command with a single button press is unknown. I do think it is a good suggestion. A better solution would be to stop streaming when it detects power off through CEC.
0 Kudos
glasspilot
Roku Guru

"bozzy" wrote:
Newer Rokus with the enhanced remote certainly do have a power button.

I was not aware of that. I have a ROKU Ultra which is fairly new; just a home button. When I'm done watching I hit the Home button and turn off the TV.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Streaming Star

"glasspilot" wrote:
"bozzy" wrote:
Newer Rokus with the enhanced remote certainly do have a power button.

I was not aware of that. I have a ROKU Ultra which is fairly new; just a home button. When I'm done watching I hit the Home button and turn off the TV.E

Even with the newer remotes that have a power button, you still need to hit the "Home" button to stop streaming.  The power button will only turn on/off the TV itself.
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

Users continue to eat valuable server bandwidth when they are not actively watching.

They press power so send the home command, or better yet put the Roku in some sort of sleep mode.
0 Kudos
scottypie1234
Reel Rookie

It should also turn out the lights for you so you don't burn electricity.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

Which device(s) are you talking about? On my Roku TV, hitting the power button stops streaming (because when I turn the TV back on, it's back on the home screen). Is this not the case with other Roku devices with a power button?
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

"mikebdoss" wrote:
Which device(s) are you talking about? On my Roku TV, hitting the power button stops streaming (because when I turn the TV back on, it's back on the home screen). Is this not the case with other Roku devices with a power button?

No, the power key is for your tv power, after it is programmed for your brand of tv. I think the only model of roku console to respond to a power command is the roku 4.
Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Roku Guru

"mikebdoss" wrote:

I  do not know which device the OP is referring to.  I just tried with my roku ultra.  I started streaming a movie,  pressed the tv power button on the utlra remote, waited a few minutes, then turned the tv  back on with the  power button on cable remote.  When the tv came on, it was on the  roku screen with the movie still streaming.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Roku Guru

"Coach David" wrote:
Users continue to eat valuable server bandwidth when they are not actively watching.  

They press power so send the home command, or better yet put the Roku in some sort of sleep mode.

I  think  would be great if it would stop streaming when the power button on the  roku remote is pressed.
0 Kudos