Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awp69

Feature Request: Airplay on Roku Devices

Jump to solution

Any update on Airplay 2 coming to Roku? There were numerous articles about it earlier this month. Anxious for this to be a thing! (also would love to see iTunes come to Roku)

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay 2 on Roku device

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for sharing the interest. We only currently support screen mirroring for Android and Windows devices. You can see more about our screen mirroring feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

We'll be sure to pass along the interest in Airplay support to the team. Please be sure to add a Kudo to this post to share your interest in this feature. 

Keep an eye on https://www.roku.com/blog for the latest news and announcements for all things Roku. 

Cheers,
Tanner

View solution in original post

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apple TV

Jump to solution

At this time, no Roku supports Air Play. There is talk about support for Air Play 2 coming, but nothing firm has been released yet.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay 2 on Roku device

Jump to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for sharing the interest. We only currently support screen mirroring for Android and Windows devices. You can see more about our screen mirroring feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

We'll be sure to pass along the interest in Airplay support to the team. Please be sure to add a Kudo to this post to share your interest in this feature. 

Keep an eye on https://www.roku.com/blog for the latest news and announcements for all things Roku. 

Cheers,
Tanner

DBDukes

Re: Airplay 2

Jump to solution
"awp69" wrote:
Any update on Airplay 2 coming to Roku? There were numerous articles about it earlier this month. Anxious for this to be a thing! (also would love to see iTunes come to Roku)

Tanner said to watch the Roku blog, as that place, not here, will be the first source of official information. And that’s absolutely true.

If you’re just wanting rumors, heck, we can make some up. That’ll be about as reliable as anything.

For example, a Google search for “Roku AirPlay 2” gets one that says “Apple’s AirPlay 2 TV integration crashes Roku stock after investors call company ‘uninvestable’” and another that says “Airplay 2 may come to Roku devices, leaving the Apple TV high and dry

As you can see, not a lot of facts, but tons of opinion, often contradictory.

You can ask for rumors, and that’s exactly what you’ll get. Truth takes time, and will go through channels.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

bvd1022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"awp69" wrote:

I’m curious about it myself. I figure if Facebook isn’t going to release their Facebook watch app on Roku, the best thing that could be done is to enable casting from the Facebook app on iOS. I wouldn’t have to switch devices as often to cover the few events I do that are streamed on Facebook. Would be a major help for me even though I would obviously prefer the standalone app Facebook has for video content to be on Roku, but getting a request into Facebook for it is like trying to get into alcatraz. Hopefully these respective tech giants will figure out a way to coexist where buying multiple devices for different purposes is no longer a necessity.
0 Kudos
neems
Visitor

Airplay 2

Jump to solution
When are we getting Airplay / Airplay 2 support on the Roku... Rumor has it that the rumor was confirmed.... any timeline on this...

See: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/11/roku-airplay-2/
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Hi @neems,

We don't have any information to share right now, but you can always keep up with the latest news and announcements at https://blog.roku.com/

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
steve4
Reel Rookie

Airplay with Roku

Jump to solution

Hi

I'ver got the Roku Streaming Stick+ and have added the Apple TV app to my Roku. Everything seems ok, I can sign into my Apple account and play free stuff so there are no issues there. But I've also got an iPad Pro which I would like to AirPlay to my Roku. So any video I'm playing on the iPad will mirror over to Apple TV. Should that be possible? When I try to AirPlay the video the iPad doesn't find/see the Apple TV on my Roku. Any help much appreciated.

[post merged with already existing thread and title changed to denote issue]

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

At this time, no Roku supports Air Play. There is talk about support for Air Play 2 coming, but nothing firm has been released yet.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
steve4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That might explain it then. Thanks.

0 Kudos
CParker
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have an AppleTV. They're not expensive. I have a Samsung TV as well (4k, 50 inch...). I never use the built-in "Smart" part. The app selection is somewhat limited and they seem to act kinda funky on a regular basis. Like... they're not the main focus of the company so they don't get updated in a timely manner. If I could find a good "dumb" TV... that simply excels at being a TV... that would make me happier.

I realize I may be in the minority in this particular thread, but I, for one, don't really want to see a Roku box that does everything in terms of being able to tie in with so many different streaming technologies. I mean it's one thing to develop an app using a published API to access content, but it's an entirely different balliwick to develop a piece of hardware that has all the different radios in it to accommodate every manufacturer's proprietary "stream". I feel this way about FAX/Scanner/Copier/Printers too. I don't have one of those either. I did at one time, but the scanner part stopped working which basically made it a Printer... a broken one at that. So now I have a separate scanner.... and a nice printer. Neither of which breaks the bank and either of which could be replaced easily if it goes belly up.
I'd prefer to let Roku be Roku... which it's been doing very well here (I have 4 of them). Any of them can be replaced without breaking the bank.

I'm afraid if Roku puts a lot of R&D into making a box with all the bells and whistles some have suggested here, it'll get priced out of our comfort zone. If that ever happens we'll have to go back to just watching TV on an antenna. So... forced regression...

Just my 2 cents. Keep the change 😄

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos