Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Adding YouTube TV Command to Roku Ultra

Like many of us - I use a smart Remote. In my case,  a Logitech Harmony 650 Remote.  It is capable of using commands issued by the Roku Remote to create start-up sequences. For example power on TV, Sound bar, set proper settings for HDMI, sound, Home screen in Roku, etc - all with a push a single button. 

What's missing in the Roku Ultra is a command for You Tube TV.  Yes I know its a choice on the Roku Home screen - but I am talking about a command that can be used by a smart remote to go directly to You Tube TV - just like you can with the others mentioned below.

You Tube TV is the fastest growing Streaming service in terms of gaining market share.  There are already Roku commands for HBO, Direct TV Now, Hulu,  etc... that one can take advantage of in a smart remote.  Why not add this You Tube TV command so those of us can take advantage of our smart remotes without having to work thru cumbersome steps to program due to the lack of a command? 

Given the exploding demand for You Tube TV, it  sure makes sense for Roku to add this simple command .  Thank you for your consideration

Labels (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Request Feature: Adding YouTube TV Command to Roku Ultra

How do you know there isn't an IR command for you tube tv? You have way searching all available commands?
Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
twiceover
Roku Guru

I assume the codes you mention only exist because they paid for a button on the remote.  Roku probably isn't going to just give them a code.

That said, can't you just place the icon at a location on the home screen that the Logitech can address?  Put it in row 1 slot 3.  Logitech home Home right right OK would launch it right?

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
How do you know there isn't an IR command for you tube tv? You have way searching all available commands?

Because the Logitech remote shows you the Roku commands available when you add activities.  The logitech shows all available commands for any device it can controls.  Commands such as OK, Power On, direction Right, direction left, etc.

"twiceover" wrote:
I assume the codes you mention only exist because they paid for a button on the remote.  Roku probably isn't going to just give them a code.

That said, can't you just place the icon at a location on the home screen that the Logitech can address?  Put it in row 1 slot 3.  Logitech home Home right right OK would launch it right?

To your first question - it is entirely possible that these streaming vendors do pay Roku.  But these 1 touch streaming commands do include buttons on the remote but also include many that are NOT on the remote.
on the 2nd - Yes I am doing that now.  Just an awkward process vs. creating a sequence that would be say
ok
Home
YouTube TV
twiceover
Roku Guru

"boilermkr83" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

To your first question - it is entirely possible that these streaming vendors do pay Roku.  But these 1 touch streaming commands do include buttons on the remote but also include many that are NOT on the remote.
on the 2nd - Yes I am doing that now.  Just an awkward process vs. creating a sequence that would be say
ok
Home
YouTube TV

Just to address one thing it isn't "entirely possible", they literally are paying Roku for those buttons.  It's a revenue stream.  The commands you see that are "not on the remote" could be on other remotes.  The remotes are actually different depending on where you buy your Roku device.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

"boilermkr83" wrote:
"Tivoburkee" wrote:

Because the Logitech remote shows you the Roku commands available when you add activities.  The logitech shows all available commands for any device it can controls.  Commands such as OK, Power On, direction Right, direction left, etc.

Let me correct something:
“The Logitech shows all available commands that were in the Logitech database as of the last update I received and may not include other commands that were not in its database at that time, nor commands that have not been yet been defined by the developer, for any device it can controls.”

That’s more accurate.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
scottypie1234
Reel Rookie

What the OP is talking about has nothing to do with buttons on the Roku remote that vendors pay for. It has nothing to do with the Roku remote at all. Harmony has a database of Roku channels (and Amazon Fire TV apps, etc.) that you can program into a sequence (turn on TV, turn on soundbar, select Roku input, open Netflix app). I think Harmony calls them Favorite Channels or something like that. YouTube TV is not among them, as of now.

It's probably something that should be addressed with Harmony instead of Roku.

"scottypie1234" wrote:
What the OP is talking about has nothing to do with buttons on the Roku remote that vendors pay for. It has nothing to do with the Roku remote at all. Harmony has a database of Roku channels (and Amazon Fire TV apps, etc.) that you can program into a sequence (turn on TV, turn on soundbar, select Roku input, open Netflix app). I think Harmony calls them Favorite Channels or something like that. YouTube TV is not among them, as of now.

It's probably something that should be addressed with Harmony instead of Roku.

Thanks you are correct in your first  statement - has nothing to do with the remote. 
On the second comment - I reached out Logitech Harmony first before posting .. they can only provide availability of a function based on what is in inherently included in the Roku Ultra.  As Roku updates their commands and adds features that are accessible, then Logitech will update their software to take advantage of them.  Thus,  the request for Roku to add that "You Tube TV"  function.
Tivoburkee

It is up to Roku what IR commands their devices respond to, no getting around that. I bought roku remotes from Roku back 2012 and had to wait over a month for an upgrade to my roku so it would respond to those new remotes. Harmony does not have the most up to date library of roku commands, that is one person, Mdavej of hifi-remote who does brute force search of known commands, and passes them on to harmony and remote community. In the past I haven't been able to search myself because I didn't have remote that had right device code that accept advanced codes for roku. Now I do, with Inteset 422 remote, device code 03061, I can search all 256 available efc's(advanced codes). Which are codes for individual commands. You tap SET, then enter 5 digit code 00000, Set 00001, SET 00002 and so on up to 00256. After 00256 they start to repeat. So at this time there isn't efc for You Tube Tv, at least one that Roku will respond to. Next time to search is after my roku gets upgrade 9.1.

Check this thread at hifi-remote:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14040&start=0

I am MaskedMan in that thread.
Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.