Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsc
Reel Rookie

Re: Video stops playing...just freezes during the last few minutes of show ending; audio continues f

Jump to solution

Just tried your steps 1-5 with my Express 4K+. Still same problem which may be two fold:

in addition to the picture freezing after about one minute into a show while the audio continues, I have also noticed three things on login:

1) When the blue light comes on indicating power I am noticing that a quick red blink in the blue light also flashes once after about 5 seconds of powering on.

2) The R O K U logo letters no longer appear when the TV is turned on.

3) I'm also getting a TV device message saying there is no signal, but in fact the signal is OK and strong when checked in settings.

Any theories?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video stops playing...just freezes during the last few minutes of show ending; audio continues f

Jump to solution

@gsc, if you were seeing the R O K U letters (the startup animation) when you turned on the TV then that implies you're using the TV's USB port for power.  Try using the supplied power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
GeorgeInVista
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Using Roku Express 4k HDR 2021 with older TV

had chronic video freeze when I hit pause or back hit play video freeze audio proceeds. Switched to older ROKU Express, same problem.

Switched HDMI port on TV. Problem is resolved. 

0 Kudos
Suzeeee

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip.  I tried what you suggested.  Hopefully it works 🙂

0 Kudos
parlance
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I double-checked, and I was already plugged into the HDMI port.

Removing and reinstalling ABC7 did work for that channel, but I'm still having the freezing issue on YouTube if I fast-forward or rewind picture.

0 Kudos
GeorgeInVista
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When the video would freeze clicking to screen resolution, changing it up or down, hit play, video would commence. That led me to think I need to explore HDMI cable or port 

0 Kudos
OldGuy1944
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here's my take.  Spectrum sold me a killer deal on internet+home phone+streaming channels, so now I'm on my third day of the Roku.  The Roku streaming stick 4K is on HDMI3 of 32" Vizio, with power from wall plug.  (The Roku updated itself upon installation.)

Today, for first time, I noticed a frozen image of the final frame of a JibJab.com commercial, while audio from selected channel on Spectrum was playing.  I noticed that changing to the adjacent Spectrum channel unfroze the video, and changing back to the first channel the video was also good.  Within an hour, there was a frozen image of the final frame of a Target commercial, and the same channel-change sequence had to be used.  My impression is the freezing commercials are from Roku, not Spectrum, and that there is a defect in the release of the video stream that carries the commercial, which is preventing the Spectrum video from starting. 

Thank you all who have posted.  From this, we know this is a long-standing unsolved problem.  Is there a way to know if either Roku or Spectrum is working to correct this?

0 Kudos
SKFamily

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue on Frndly. With 2 minutes remaining in a movie, the video freezes. Power is plugged into the wall. Using Ruko 4. Tried all the steps mentioned above and does not fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@OldGuy1944 @SKFamily

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KBH

Jump to solution

Happens to me all the time on Roku channels. 

0 Kudos