Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BitterClinger
Reel Rookie

Video resolution on YouTube app drops significantly after a couple of seconds. Help!

Jump to solution

This issue began yesterday on all three of my Roku devices. When a video begins playback, it is at least 1080p. However, after 2-4 seconds, the resolution drops to what looks like 60p. This happens on every channel. I have YouTube Premium and watch several specific channels often and they are recorded in 4K. Although my TV is max 1080p, the videos have always played at that resolution; images are sharp. Yesterday, though, the resolution drop began. 

Nothing else has changed. I speed tested my ISP and it averages 100mbs down and 80mps up. There is only a single device streaming at a given time, as well. The three Roku devices I have are two Roku Express' and one Roku Premier and this problem happens on each unit.

I spoke with my ISP this morning (Frontier) and they said they found no issues with my signal or equipment. I deleted the YouTube app from my Rokus, performed a hard reset on each Roku device, reinstalled YouTube, and ensured the app was up to date. 

Each Roku's software is up to date and each shows excellent signal strength when running Check Connection, and the download speed averaged 38mps (my devices only run on 2G).

As I stated earlier, the video resolution has been perfect up to yesterday, but I did not change anything and my ISP didn't change anything. And Roku does not provide support for the units I have (nice customer service.)

I would greatly appreciate someone helping here because I do not know where else to turn and the image quality I'm getting now is horrible.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Video resolution on YouTube app drops significantly after a couple of seconds. Help!

Jump to solution

Hi @BitterClinger,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves. 

You can reach them here: YouTube Support

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Video resolution on YouTube app drops significantly after a couple of seconds. Help!

Jump to solution

Hi @BitterClinger,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves. 

You can reach them here: YouTube Support

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aclancy

Jump to solution

I’ve had the exact same issue starting a couple of days ago!

0 Kudos
BitterClinger
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Someone posted a work around a few days ago on Reddit.

While a video is playing, use your remote to navigate up to the settings/gear icon which is at the far right of the row with the closed caption, thumbs up and down icons. Select the gear icon and the first option in the menu that appears is video quality. Select the highest available and that should do it for all the other videos as well. If, for some reason, it doesn't, just repeat the steps.
Apparently, something wonky happened with the "Auto" resolution setting a few days ago.

Jump to solution

Yes, I have tried for the past few weeks and it doesnt stay, immediately downgrades to 480p

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.