Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FMoB

Trying to get Dolby Digital (not Plus) to work on Roku Ultra LT (4801X)

Let’s start with a confession - I’m a dinosaur and a cheapskate! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix (or replace…) it is my mantra. So, for years, I’ve been happy playing DVDs and Blu-rays on my 2012 Samsung UE40ES6540 TV with Dolby Digital/DTS processed via an even older (1999!) Yamaha RX-V595a receiver. I have a great 5.1 speaker setup in a small room.

With streaming meaning less and less films get a release on physical media, I’ve had to move with the times and embrace movies via fibre broadband from Sky Cinema (via Now TV) and Disney+. So I bought a Roku Express and expected to be able to get surround sound having added Boost to Now TV. What a pain… Yes, a new AV amp would help but I’m trying to avoid that if I at all can.

After lots of research, and the discovery of this post on the forum: https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/No-Dolby-or-DTS-Surround-Sound-Output-Via-Opti...  - I realised I’d need to change my approach if I was going to succeed.

I bought an EZ Coo EX11PRO that can spoof EDID settings and have that configured to 5.1 audio. The same device provides audio extraction from the HDMI input and has a toslink output to connect to my old amp. On the advice of @UserOfStreamers, I went in search of a 4800 or 4802 on eBay. I found a 4801 (box says 4801RW but label on device say 4801X) and further research suggested that only differed by virtue of a missing USB port and a different remote. Surely if the 4800 and 4802 supported transcoding of DD+ to DD, then the 4801 would too…?

So, having it got all wired up, I was really disappointed to see my AV amp not finding a Dolby Digital signal from one of its optical inputs. I’ve tried all the various combinations of the audio settings to no avail. I know the EDID spoofing is working as the Roku is reporting ‘Dolby Audio-DD’ and ‘DTS Digital Surround’ as available formats on the HDMI.

If anyone can help, I’d be extremely grateful.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.