Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jweisneck
Binge Watcher

Streaming device volume drops or gets distorted

Model 3810x

software 12.0.0 build 4184-50

volume will get distorted, go up or down intermittently.  This has been happening several months and getting worse.  I have had these devices and loved them until this problem started.

sometimes it will get resolved when going back to the home screen or restarting the stick.

I have seen several posts with the same problem for the Roku tv and other streaming devices going back to early 2022 with no clear resolution.  Verifying the audio is set to auto doesn’t have any affect.  I have tried it several ways, but the problem keeps happening.

If the problem is across multiple devices, then that would indicate it is a software problem. 

Labels (2)
25 REPLIES 25
Jweisneck
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

Every posted reply list the same steps, but doesn’t resolve anything.  This was reported about a year ago.  I used to love Roku, now it is making me question my loyalty.

sd11

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

I have just cut the cord and converted all my TVs to Roku sticks and have had the same problem.  I hope I have not made a mistake going with Roku.  This is a problem I have had as well.  It concerns me that this has been going on for a while.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming device volume drops or gets distorted

Hi @Jweisneck,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your audio. We're happy to help. Are you connecting your device to external audio products?

With detailed information, we can assist you further with your concern.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jweisneck
Binge Watcher

I have been using the 2 streaming sticks for the last 5 years.  No charges to the setup.  I am using the tv speakers, no extra equipment.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jweisneck,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We understand that you're having an issue with your audio. Help is here. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jweisneck
Binge Watcher

when the problem occurs, I can resolve it sometimes just going to the Home Screen or restarting the Roku.  That is a workaround, not a fix.  Sometimes I have to this several times a day.

this needs a permanent solution, not a workaround.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Greetings Community users!

Thanks for letting us know about this. We'd like to take a closer look and see how we can get you up and running.

However, will you provide some additional details regarding this issue? Could you tell us a bit more about this? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Is this an isolated case for a specific channel, or is it happening across channels on the Roku platform? What are the troubleshooting steps that have been taken to resolve this?

With a better understanding, we'll be able to work further on this. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jweisneck
Binge Watcher

I have swapped out the hdmi cable with a known good one.

I have changed the audio between auto and stereo.

I use hbo max and xfinity the most, so I can’t say it happens with any other apps.

It is an intermittent problem.  It is a lot easier to identify the problem if it was constant.

As I stated, I can resolve the problem by going back to the main menu.  If that doesn’t resolve the problem, I power cycle the Roku.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jweisneck,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

You seem to have done plenty of fantastic troubleshooting at this point. A factory reset clears the majority of data from your Roku device and restores it to its factory default configuration. Please follow these steps to factory reset your Roku:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced System Settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move on to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos