Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoxkyWarrior93
Reel Rookie

Streaming app issues with YouTube and Netflix

Jump to solution

So I bought a Philips smart TV with the Roku features. Things have been fine up until last week. My wife and I were watching a show on Netflix when it shut the app off and continued to do this. Now the issue has begun with YouTube.

I'm having to swap back all my apps to the Xbox inorder to be able to use em without issue. This is not the TV manufacturers fault but a Roku problem. 

Is anyone else currently having the same issues and found a fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming app issues with YouTube and Netflix

Jump to solution

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @RoxkyWarrior93 @louisml!

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming with Netflix, YouTube, and the Weather Network channels on your Roku streaming devices. No worries! We're here to provide troubleshooting steps to help you get back on streaming. 

Before we proceed, is this the only channels affected by this? Also, are there any error messages prompted on your screen whenever you try to access the channels? 

Kindly follow the steps precisely below to help you troubleshoot the affected channels:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

After doing so, kindly highlight the channel tile and press the star (*) button on your remote to update it. To learn more about this, kindly visit: How to Solve a Playback issue.

Furthermore, Check Network Speed: Ensure your Wi-Fi connection is stable and performing well because sometimes, even with fiber optics, fluctuations in speed or signal strength can cause delays.

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to help you get back on streaming. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
louisml

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with Netflix and the Weather network on the roku devices, tried updating and reloading the apps, made no difference. All other streaming devices work fine only roku not working properly. Having difficulty getting help from roku. Not sure what to do next.

0 Kudos
RoxkyWarrior93
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's troubling that we pay for the devices just to have issues not long after. I got my father a Roku TV and have a Roku device hooked up to this other TV and never once has had an issue at all. I don't get it. 

I've checked for updates, deleted and re-uploaded the apps, nothing. Roku is going down the drain in quality and service.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @RoxkyWarrior93 @louisml!

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming with Netflix, YouTube, and the Weather Network channels on your Roku streaming devices. No worries! We're here to provide troubleshooting steps to help you get back on streaming. 

Before we proceed, is this the only channels affected by this? Also, are there any error messages prompted on your screen whenever you try to access the channels? 

Kindly follow the steps precisely below to help you troubleshoot the affected channels:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

After doing so, kindly highlight the channel tile and press the star (*) button on your remote to update it. To learn more about this, kindly visit: How to Solve a Playback issue.

Furthermore, Check Network Speed: Ensure your Wi-Fi connection is stable and performing well because sometimes, even with fiber optics, fluctuations in speed or signal strength can cause delays.

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to help you get back on streaming. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RoxkyWarrior93
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here's the deal with that: there are no prompts or warnings. The apps just shuts down when it wants.

I have done these steps as you've suggested and that's a no fix solution. Maybe Roku needs to do a proper investigation than sitting here giving little useless fix it "solutions". My network speed is fine as is everything else. Just doesn't like YouTube and Netflix as far as I know.

0 Kudos
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @RoxkyWarrior93!

Thank you for getting back to us here on the Roku Community. 

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the issue you are experiencing with Netflix and YouTube while streaming. We appreciate the time you took to follow the troubleshooting steps suggested by @RokuCarly. However, we understand that the issue still persists, and we would like to assist you further. To better isolate the problem, could you please provide us with the following additional information?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • YouTube and Netflix channel version (highlight the channel tile, then press the * sign button on your device).

After receiving this information, we will forward it to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

We are eagerly waiting for your update!

Thanks,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
statictourist
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with YouTube and Netflix on a brand new Roku Streaming Stick 4k. YouTube goes black every 60 seconds or so but continues playing in the background. Netflix pauses after every 30 seconds or so. I’ve deleted and reinstalled the apps many times. I have done system updates and have even factory reset my Roku and reinstalled all channels. Nothing fixes it. My older model Streaming Stick+ works fine 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @statictourist,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We want to investigate this issue you had with the YouTube and Netflix channels further. Can you please provide the information @RokuElmer-H provided above?

Once we have this information, we will be able to escalate this issue to our appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.