Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jnels8957
Channel Surfer

Roku ultra won’t stream until restarted by

Multiple units on network. All show excellent signal and connectivity. One unit will only work after a restart after initial power up. Once restarted streams fine and never buffers.  Why???

15 REPLIES 15
Avaya
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra won’t stream until restarted by

What is the model number? Is this on the 2.4GHz, 5.0GHz or ethernet?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Jnels8957 

Some of the Roku Ultra devices have the new Power setting, which can cause the device to go into a low power mode, almost a sleep mode. Heck, calling it a sleep mode isn't wrong.

Anyway, check that.

Also, have you tried simply pressing the HOME button on the Roku remote for the Ultra in question? In other cases where a user had an issue such as this, they were pressing everything except the HOME button, it seems. Let's rule that out as a cause.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jnels8957
Channel Surfer

Yes using the home button. Bought five of these. Setup 5.  This is the only one issues with. Other 4 are fine

0 Kudos
Avaya
Roku Guru

@Jnels8957 So all 5 Roku devices were bought on the same day from the same place? And all 5 are the same model number? What number is it? 

0 Kudos
Jnels8957
Channel Surfer

Ultra.  Don’t see model #

0 Kudos
Avaya
Roku Guru

@Jnels8957  The model number is stamped on the Roku itself. You can also find it by going to Settings/System/About

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Jnels8957 wrote:

Yes using the home button. Bought five of these. Setup 5.  This is the only one issues with. Other 4 are fine

I'm assuming this was a response directed to me. And that you're saying you are attempting to use the Home button to access the Roku Ultra, and that it's not working.

So, that points to two things: the Ultra itself, or the TV. Let's rule out the TV.

Since all the Roku Ultra devices are the same, at least that's what I'm reading from your response, then it would be a simple matter to take one that doesn't work, call it Roku 5, and one that does work, call it Roku 1, and swap them.

1. Power down TV 1.
  2. Unplug the power and HDMI from Roku 1.
  3. Take Roku 1 and its remote to TV 5.
  4. Power down TV 5.
  5. Unplug power and HDMI from Roku 5 and set Roku 5 and its remote aside.
  6. Plug Roku 1 into power and HDMI in TV 5 setup.
  7. Power up TV 5.
  8. Take Roku 5 and its remote to TV 1.
  9. Plug Roku 5 into power and HDMI in TV 1 setup.
  10. Power up TV 1.

Does Roku 5, now on TV 1, exhibit the same behavior? Or does Roku 1, now on TV5, exhibit the behavior?

If the issue follows Roku 5 to TV 1, then it's the Roku. Could be a settings issue, or could be hardware, but we know which device is the problem

If the issue is now with Roku 1, there's an issue with TV 5. Could be settings, could be hardware (cable or ports), but we know which device is the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Jnels8957-

@DBDukesalluded to low power standby mode in his first response, but let me revisit it in more detail.

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the newer Roku devices. At this writing they are Ultra LT/Ultra (4801/4800), Express 4K/4K+ (3940/3941), and Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821). The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable any options you find under "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings" it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place. The power savings are not that great and for the hassle it causes, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Jnels8957
Channel Surfer

Roku malfunctions on other TV.  Definitely a defective unit. Back to Amazon it goes.  

0 Kudos