Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miacadieux

Roku express making static/scrubbing noise

Jump to solution

I just got a new roku express and when I began using it it makes a weird, loud static type of noise. The noise happens even when then TV is muted, so it’s not coming through the TV speakers. I’ve tried all of the solutions for distorted audio and none of them have helped. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VLG
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku express making static/scrubbing noise

Jump to solution

I have discovered how to fix this problem!  Unplug your TV for about 2 mins.  Plug it back in and it should work fine!  All the noise has gone away!!!!!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
VLG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I am having the same issue.  My ROKU worked well for 1 1/2 yrs., then it started making this garbled  sound. At first I thought it was my TV, so I bought a new one.  It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then it started again.  I know it is the ROKU doing it because my TV sound works fine without it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@VLG

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? If you it attaches to the TV through HDMI cable, have you tried switching out the HDMI cable to see if that resolves the issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
VLG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have discovered how to fix this problem!  Unplug your TV for about 2 mins.  Plug it back in and it should work fine!  All the noise has gone away!!!!!!

Jump to solution

Me too, constant loud static from a new Express. This has been widely discussed here for years and for all Roku models. This is what helped me reduce it to tolerable levels via audio settings:.

1) turn menu volume to off.

2) set audio mode to stereo.

3) (in my case) set Hdmi mode to PCM-stereo.

Now I  get a mild static burst only when the app that's playing switches between content streams e.g. for an ad. and it's now at an acceptable level of annoyance. This never happened with Fire Stick.

0 Kudos
cjpardo

Jump to solution

Mine just started doing the same thing. I know it’s not the TV because Apple TV works just fine. When I’m watching anything on Roku, it will stop playing, got to static, and make this loud obnoxious noise. Then the Roku resets and it’s fine for about another 30 minutes and does it again. I have tried resetting it and nothing works. I’m currently using Apple TV instead to stream. Please help. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @cjpardo

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you tried connecting your Roku to a different HDMI port on the back of your TV? How about a different HDMI cable? Try giving both a shot then let us know if there's any difference after.

We look forward to your response. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
VLG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello cjpardo!

Unplug the TV from the power source, wait 3-4 minutes.  Plug back in and see if that works!  I know it sounds too simple, but it worked for me! 

Good Luck!

Let me know how it turns out!

0 Kudos