Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Millermom

Roku express+ frozen for over 2 weeks

My roku express+ has been frozen for over a week. I have tried the reset with the remote, the device, and unplugging it for over 24hours. I have also logged in on my computer to hopefully find an option to reset it. My device is not supported for tech support and I'm out of options. I don't want to buy another one and have the same problem.. Please HELP

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express+ frozen for over 2 weeks

@Millermom 

Unplug the device. Let it sit a minute. Then plug it back up.

Describe to us what happens. Where in the bootup process does it freeze? Imagine we are not in the room with you but are on the other side of the Internet. Describe what happens from the time power is added until it freezes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Millermom wrote:

I have tried the reset with the remote, the device, and unplugging it for over 24hours. 

It's not frozen if you can do anything with the remote. Could you be more specific about what you mean by "frozen"? 

You can do a factory reset if nothing else works. Somewhere on your Roku is a small hole with a recessed button. Using a paperclip or some similar thin piece of wire, press and HOLD that button for a minimum of 30 seconds, not one second less. Your Roku will reboot and you will have to configure it again like it was a brand new device. But don't do this unless you have no options remaining. You'll have to log back into any subscriptions that you have for the various channels. 

If a factory reset doesn't clear the problem, it's likely a defective player. I personally don't recommend the Express, as it's not as powerful as the Express 4K+ or Premiere, let alone the Ultra. If you want to use 5 GHz WiFi, that's not available in the Express or Premiere. You would need the Express 4K+, Ultra, or the Stick.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Do you know what your Roku model number is?  There are literally several different versions of the Express and the Express+, and the model number should be printed on either the bottom of the unit itself, or the bottom of the packaging where the UPC code is.  I have the 2017/2018 Express+ with analog outputs and it’s model no. 3910X.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.