Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_C
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

Jump to solution

I just started getting the overheating message today on my Roku Ultra (4670X). It's been in the same location for years. That has not changed. It does feel quite warm to the touch now. Why would it be working so hard and generating so much heat while simply displaying the aquarium screensaver? I propped up the 4 corners and directed a small USB fan at it.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users!

We understand your concern and want to reassure you that our team is fully dedicated to resolving this issue. We are committed to getting you back to enjoying seamless streaming as quickly as possible. 

Our team is investigating this issue you're encountering and we need your cooperation to get this sorted out. Will you please provide the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

With all these details that you will provide, we'll be able to forward this to the appropriate Roku team for review. 

We are looking forward to your response.

All the best,
Emman 

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
Scott_C
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just now had the overheating message flash again on the screen while watching YouTube-TV:

Model No: 4670X - Roku Ultra
Serial No: YJ009M717851
Device ID: KW99C9717851
OS Version: 13.1.4 - build 1512-46
GC version: 12.1.17
Timestamp 2024-09-07T00:42:30Z
Tracker ID: 51-360-042

Scott

0 Kudos
Montclairat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

my Roku ultra is experiencing the same overheating problem. Am I the only one that believes this should not be happening? My unit is not surrounded by other electronics or confined in a closed in space. I’m simply running Netflix. This is clearly a design issue. They should all be recalled and replaced. There is no reason for the unit with no moving parts - being used as designed to simply overheat. Roku, please do better.  Take care of your customers. 

0 Kudos
drgteye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this post. The difference between your logical "let's get this problem solved" vs the nonsense other Roku staff have posted is a welcomed relief.

I'm away on a two week trip, but as soon as I get home, I'll get this information to you.

Thank you again!

mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@jnmcclanahan77 thank you for your suggestion on this.  I actually bought the heatsink you recommended and did a ton of thermal padding.  I'm down to one overheating warning per evening.  But it's still there.  I described what I did at: 

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I added the heatsink as recommended here (thanks!) and extensive thermal padding, but I still get the overheating error at least once per night....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/1ew8g13/ultra_4670_overheating_issue_modifications/

0 Kudos
Mguy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My ROKU was also overheating. The ROKU was plugged into the wall and sitting on a TV stand next to the LED TV. The ROKU was hot to the touch and so was the TV stand where the ROKU was sitting. The house was 77 degrees. I used 2 drink coasters (under the ROKU at each end) to raise the ROKU. This gives a cushion of air under the ROKU. So far the message has not reappeared and the ROKU is cooler to the touch. Maybe ROKU should add feet/lifters to give more cooling area.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mguy 

Thanks for the post.

We understand that you are having the same issue as reported by other users in this thread. For us to help, we'd like to collect for further details regarding your concern.

Can you please provide the details requested by @RokuEmmanuel-D above this thread? The information we collect is critical in reviewing the issue you have experienced.

Your response would be valuable to us.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mguy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Replying with information requested.

Model 3920X - ROKU Premiere

Serial YH00GG254490

Software 13.1.4 Build 1512-91

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.