Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drgteye
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

Jump to solution

Just got my first overheating message. This Roku Ultra has been in the same cool spot for at least 4 years and the house is a comfortable 74°. The Roku is warm but not hot to the touch.

Because of the amount of reports of "overheating", my guess is it's a software issue - either reporting the wrong temperature, or an inefficient update (poor programming).

claudioq

Jump to solution

After years of fine usage, I have just started getting the overheating message. The temperature gun confirms it is getting hot so it is truly hot.  A small fan fixes the issue but I don't want this to be the solution.  What has changed recently in the software/processing?

Ultra model 4670X 

drgteye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuJharra-Q 

This is not a solution.

Read what people are experiencing and you'll see it's something that's changed in an update or proof that Roku employs planned obsolescence in their products.

0 Kudos
cptlurch

Jump to solution

I have unplugged the box and then connected it again and the overheat warning came back within a few minutes. Do I need a new box

jnmcclanahan77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have this same issue with the Ultra 2020 model, and I'm sure the 2022 will need the same "fix", but I put a heatsink on the 2020 model. I had some 40mm square heatsinks, so I removed the top cover, cut the plastic in the center to accommodate the heat sink, reassembled everything, and now my 2020 model runs waaayyyyy cooler. You could probably use a smaller heat sink but I had these, and next time instead of centering the hole I'll oddest it to get it in contact with more surface area.

4pcs Heat Sink 40 x 40 x 11mm/... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CMR9MZZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, Community Users,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We really appreciate you reaching out to us about your experience with your Roku device. We want to help you out, so let's try to figure out how you're powering your device, as this could be causing the issue. It's possible that insufficient power might be the issue. If you're currently using the TV USB port to power the device, please try plugging it directly into a wall outlet and giving it another go. Let's see if that helps!

For more troubleshooting please visit our support page here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

Note: If this has been happening too often, please report back here and share the device's serial number, which can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
drgteye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know how it's possible to power a Roku Ultra with USB.  It is being powered from the 12v power supply that was included with the Roku Ultra.  

I've done all the troubleshooting steps in the link - no change.

Serial: YJ00EU256013

0 Kudos
JDrok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

FYI, I use the supply AC power adapter, not USB.

drgteye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just got notified that there's a new solution to this.

There isn't.  Apparently Roku does not care about their customers.  When we have to resort to opening up our Rokus to add a heat sink, put a fan on it, or run it without a case in order for the overheating warning to go away, it's time for me to drop Roku just like they've dropped us.

This used to be a good product... filled a void.... Now it's just another device that goes in the trash. 

Bye Roku - not like you even care.

mveetz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Has anyone found a solution to these issues? My Roku is constantly overheating when watching Youtube or HBO Max.  It is in as well ventilated area as possible without putting it completely across my apartment.  Are there better products out there that aren't Roku?

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.