Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelZ

Roku Ultra dropping out and unexpectedly switching

Jump to solution

Recently, when playing from my Roku Ultra from any app (YouTube TV, Prime Video, etc.), the TV screen would drop out (blank black screen) for 5 to 10 seconds.  After the drop out, the program would reappear in progress and the TV would indicate that the TV had switch to HDMI 1 (which is the default).

My setup: Roku Ultra feeding HDMI through Denon X4800H AVR to 2009 Sony LED HDTV HDMI 1 input.

Analysis and Solution: The problem persisted whether I fed the Roku signal via HDMI through the Denon AVR or directly into the same HDMI input on the Sony TV.  The solution seems to be changing a setting on the Roku.  Specifically, Settings|System|1-touch Play uncheck (disable).  After unchecking (disabling) 1-touch Play, my drop out and switching problem disappeared. [I tested this at length.]  The only downside to this was on my Roku remote, the Home button no longer selected the Roku HDMI TV input automatically (although I leave this as the default in any case) and I must use the Power button (top button) on the remote to turn on the Sony TV.  All other functions on the Roku remote work as expected.

One other mention: I changed the External HDMI 1 Input settings on the Sony TV from Input  Selection Auto to Input Selection Always (On).  This turned out to be CRITCAL to solving the problem on my older Sony TV, so the combination of the change in the Roku settings (1-touch Play) and the HDMI Input Selection Always (On) were essential.  For those with older TVs, please check these settings out.  My second TV is a Sony (circa 2023 4K) and does not have the option of Input Selection either Auto or Always (On).  It seems to work flawlessly with my second Roku Ultra with Roku Settings|System 1-touch Play checked (enabled).

Hope this is helpful to others experiencing similar drop out or auto switching problems.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra dropping out and unexpectedly switching

Jump to solution

Hi, @MichaelZ 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We also want to appreciate the efforts you have taken to resolve this specific issue. It will help the Roku users in this community to resolve issues alike.

If there's anything we can do to assist you, feel free to reach out to us or post a new thread.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra dropping out and unexpectedly switching

Jump to solution

Hi, @MichaelZ 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We also want to appreciate the efforts you have taken to resolve this specific issue. It will help the Roku users in this community to resolve issues alike.

If there's anything we can do to assist you, feel free to reach out to us or post a new thread.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.