Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guumbah
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra - Volume Issue

I'm sure that many have or have had this issue.  When I press the volume up and/or the volume down buttons on my remote one time, the volume will increase or decrease multiple levels.  At first I thought it was me, but lately I've been verifying that it's only one press and not me leaning on the button.  Batteries are fresh so nothing there.  I have an LG TV and an LG Sound bar.  My Roku Ultra has been working, up until now, flawlessly since I got it 6 months ago.  One thing I have noticed is if I use the "TV's" remote this condition doesn't happen.  Volume goes up/down just fine.  So this rules out my TV/Sound bar.  So, this leads me to believe it's something in the Roku.

Roku Information:

Model: 4800RW

Serial No.: X0100051WJ4T

Software Version: 12.0.0 build 4184-C2

Device ID: S02C2081Wj4T

It would be nice if we could figure out what is going on.

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume Issue

Hello @Guumbah 

Thanks for the post in the Roku Community regarding your Roku Ultra remote.

If you disconnect your external soundbar, and use your remote to change the volume, do you still see the issue persist?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to continue assisting you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
49guy
Reel Rookie

I am having the same type of issue. As we watch a program the volume drops off by itself. We have to back out of the program them go back in. Very annoying to say the least. What is Roku doing to correct this seeing that it is a common one after ready through the other questions. 

0 Kudos
Guumbah
Channel Surfer

Hello,

Yes, it still does it.  In fact, this happens on all of my Roku Ultra's.  Haven't found a fix yet.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @49guy @Guumbah 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We acknowledge that you've been having trouble with the Roku Ultra volume issues. We would like to help. Is this issue happening on a particular channel, or are other channel/s affected? Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

The more information you provide us, the better we can understand the issue.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
49guy
Reel Rookie

I basically stream Xfinity, Netflix and Prime.  The issue is the same on all three, you will be watching a program and the volume is fine.  Then for no apparent reason the volume drops off and you cannot get it to go back up or down there is no sound period.  We have to hit the home button and then go back into the site we were watching and everything is fine for a while.

We have shut the unit down, unplugged everything waited and then replugged it all back in.  It works for a short period of time then its a repeat of the issue.  This is pretty much what others have stated happens to their units.  I need help on finding out how to resolve the problem.

Thank you

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @49guy,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing. Do you have any other devices connected to your TV? (e.g., speakers and other sound systems). If not, please try these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the problem still persists, please try to manually update the Roku device by clicking here.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-RMy 4800R is plugged into an Onkyo AVR along with other components of my home theater. I use a Logitech Harmony 650 to control all of them and when viewing content on Prime, Max, Tubi or other channels there are dramatic shifts in volume as stated by the OP. In the past weeks I've noticed that the Roku volume is slow responding to volume up/down commands as well. Since there have been no OS updates since May, it appears another build to address the problem is needed. I have reprogrammed my Harmony remote several times and the problem appears to be with the Ultra

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Guumbah
Channel Surfer

Still no resolution.  This happens on all 4 of my Roku Ultra's.  With and without sound bar.  No fix in sight.  Ugh.

0 Kudos
lawnmore

John: I tried using the battery remote that was previously paired with my ROKU 4K+ and my system and after a week of using the 4K+ remote I have not experienced ant volume issues. Went back to the ULTRA remote and same volume issue are back. Looks like to Ultra Remote is the problem. Please advise if ROKU is going to address this issue for customers. Ron

0 Kudos