Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NobodysBusiness
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 2 second delay when youtube videos or ads start

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue since sometime in 2023 as well. Like you I use the headphones every day. Did you ever find a solution to this issue? Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra 2 second delay when youtube videos or ads start

Jump to solution

Hi @mrzoops,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate the information and the steps you have taken to figure out the issue.

Does the issue occur on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?

Note to share. Your Roku device will pass whatever audio format is being provided by each specific channel. If the channel doesn't provide Dolcy Digital+ audio format for their content, your device cannot pass DD+ format via audio out. Your device does not downgrade audio formats on its own; however, it may select an alternate audio format that is available if a user's setup does not support Dolby Digital+, such as a receiver that is only capable of playing standard Dolby Digital. The use of some device features may be limited to stereo audio only, such as 'Volume modes'. The use of this feature will select the stereo audio format when this type of feature is enabled. Turning this feature off will then allow your device to pass other available audio formats out, such as DD+.

In addition, some channels, such as Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon Prime Video, provide DD+ audio for some of their content. Other channels may provide standard DD or only stereo-format audio for their content. You'll want to check with each channel provider directly to inquire further about their specific content offerings.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
dbcooper_NC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No progress has been reported to me on this issue, though a moderator occasionally assures us that it is being looked into.  There have been updates to the youtube applet on my roku, but none have solved this issue for me.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Question: do you have framerate matching enabled on your Roku? If so, that can trigger a momentary screen blink and freeze until the match is completed. This setting is under Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced Display Settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate. If it's on, turn it off and see if you still have the delay starting videos. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
dbcooper_NC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@atc98092,

Thanks for your reply.  On my system, framerate matching is, and has been, off.  But, the problems I am seeing only occur when using headphones.  Wouldn't this setting affect both headphone and regular users?  Also, in my case, only the sound is affected.  The video plays as normal.  Video starts playing with no sound for ~2 seconds or so, then sound starts.

mrzoops
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having this issue as well and I can tell you it’s related to the use of Dolby/dts. If I set my output to stereo then there is no start up delay, but once it is set to Dolby/dts/or auto there is always a delay when starting a new stream or unpausing the current stream. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mrzoops,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate the information and the steps you have taken to figure out the issue.

Does the issue occur on a specific channel or all the channels installed on your Roku device?

Note to share. Your Roku device will pass whatever audio format is being provided by each specific channel. If the channel doesn't provide Dolcy Digital+ audio format for their content, your device cannot pass DD+ format via audio out. Your device does not downgrade audio formats on its own; however, it may select an alternate audio format that is available if a user's setup does not support Dolby Digital+, such as a receiver that is only capable of playing standard Dolby Digital. The use of some device features may be limited to stereo audio only, such as 'Volume modes'. The use of this feature will select the stereo audio format when this type of feature is enabled. Turning this feature off will then allow your device to pass other available audio formats out, such as DD+.

In addition, some channels, such as Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon Prime Video, provide DD+ audio for some of their content. Other channels may provide standard DD or only stereo-format audio for their content. You'll want to check with each channel provider directly to inquire further about their specific content offerings.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos