Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
praystate
Reel Rookie

Roku TV display turns off when starting media

Hi, whenever I try to play certian media through streaming services, the display will suddenly turn itself off.

It only happens when I play certain titles (eg. A Star Wars movie will play fine on Disney Plus, but playing Zootopia on that same streaming service will cause the issue).

I can hear sounds just fine, and it's only when I hit 'OK' to start media it will shut itself off, leading me to believe it's a software issue.

I have a 70" onn. Roku TV.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV display turns off when starting media

Hi @praystate,

Welcome to the Rok Community!

We certainly understand your concern about having a playback issue with some channels installed on your Roku device. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the problem.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues. Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel.'
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
praystate
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV display turns off when starting media

I've done factory resets, power cycling the TV, and reinstalling apps. I still get the issue. I even noticed that it does it when I'm using an HDMI port, after two minutes or so.

This really all started when I bought and paired a Voice Remote to my TV, and only then did it start.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.