Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LC6529
Binge Watcher

Roku Streambar - Hulu Says it can't play

I have a Roku Express in one room, a Roku streambar in another and a Roku TV downstairs.

We use Hulu and generally don't have any issues at all with the exception of the streambar.

Almost all content on Hulu it has no problem with but there are two shows we began watching old episodes of and it played episode 1 without an issue but go to episode 2 and it says it can't play it.

But if you go to the other room and bring up the episode - no problem at all.

Both systems are on the same network, both systems use WiFi, I even moved the streambar to the other room and the issue persists.

The streambar is up to date with 'updates' and both HULU apps are at the same level.

No issue with any other app at all.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar - Hulu Says it can't play

Hi @LC6529,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We're happy to assist you with your problem with streaming Hulu on your Roku streambar. In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. Please follow the steps below:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your device: Go to Settings > System > Power > System Restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store or Search and add the channel again.

Let us know if this works for you!
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC6529
Binge Watcher

I tried that, it did not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @LC6529,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the issue you are into!

Please be advised that if you are still unable to play videos from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine. Contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC6529
Binge Watcher

I am not sure you understand the issue.   The series is a cooking show on HULU, S1E1 plays just fine, S1E2 gives an error when trying to play it but S1E2 plays just fine on any other ROKU device and they are all on the same WIFI network and the HULU app is the same version.

Therefore, the issue has to do with the Soundbar.

I have moved the Soundbar to the same room the other Roku device is in to insure it wasn't a wifi range issue.   I removed  / re-added the app.   So at this point it is something odd with the soundbar.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted @LC6529,

May we ask if you're having you're having a similar content issue with other channels you're accessing? Or is this issue only happening specifically to Hulu and that aforementioned series?

Tell us more about this so can assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC6529
Binge Watcher

It happens to random HULU series.   It does not occur with Disney+ or any other streaming provider.

The odd thing is though, it ONLY happens with the streambar.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @LC6529

It seems like this is a content issue within the Hulu channel. Have you tried reaching out to their support and inquiring about this? Once you've reached out to them, kindly let them know about the experience you had with their content and the issue so a workaround can be gathered.

Please keep us updated so we'll be able to assist further and proceed to the necessary steps to address this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC6529
Binge Watcher

I don't accept that answer because the issue does not happen on any other Roku device.

Only the streambar.

As I stated earlier, I have three ROKU devices - all on the same WIFI network, all with the same version of the ROKU app.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LC6529,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to help you with your issue on the Hulu channel. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

Please let us know how it works!

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.