Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Roku Media player has another bug with video playback from DLNA

Jump to solution

So I have another issue with Roku media player (Roku Ultra 4K HD) playing videos from my DLNA server. The problem is with media server, not the DLNA or the video file. The issue is that some, but not all of the video files start playing very bad with very rough and ragged edges. The problem goes away when I restart the Roku. I just restarted it so all is OK for now, but after a while it will mess up again. I will post a picture next time it happens. This can happen several times a day and is annoying, but not as bad the next problem.  The next issue is that some video files keep pausing/resuming audio and video for 2-3 seconds on their own at random intervals. This problem does NOT go away when the Roku is restated. If I rewind the video it pauses at roughly the same spots.

Now I know the problem is with the Roku media player for sure because I can download the file to my PC and it plays fine. More importantly, the video from the same DLNA server plays just fine on my other smart TVs at the same time that it is messing up on Roku Smiley Frustrated. So it can't be the network, the media nor the DLNA streaming server.

I think I need to get another smart TV and trash Roku once and for all because they can't keep their **bleep** straight. So frustrating.  BTW, this started happening in the last few weeks. Before that I can confirm that some of the files that are not playing properly now and keep pausing used to play just fine on the same Roku.

I think Roku needs to fix the problem and the give us a way to disable the auto update of some apps and/or the ability to roll back to a previous version when things go awry.  But since they probably are not going to do this once I get a stable version I will look into blocking my Roku on my router from accessing Internet other than only the sites I explicitly give it access so it can't update apps and break things.

Anyone else having similar issues or is it just me? Perhaps my Roku is going bad, though I doubt it????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Media player has another bug with video playback from DLNA

Jump to solution

So I think I've solved the problem. At least I have not had any issues in the past couple of days. The solution was to factory reset the unit. I am assuming the repeated updated over time destabilized the system. I've actually seen this on other systems. Does not happen often, but it does from time to time. Once the unit was factory reset, it has worked without any issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Tagging @Hector-Roku@RokuMary-F and @RokuKariza-D. ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GetFireTVNotRok 

You said the issue is with the media server, but are describing issues that indicate you think the issue is with the Roku client. Just want to clarify that. If so, edit the post and change "server" to "client." That will reduce confusion for those attempting to help.

Next, you said Roku Ultra, but did not provide a model number. Every Roku Ultra model since the first was introduced in 2016 supported 4K/UHD, so being more specific will help, as the model number may help point to a known bug. It may also indicate the age of the device and how likely it is to be reaching end of life. Settings > System > About

If you're using a basic Windows DLNA setup, the version of Windows may be helpful as well. Start > Settings > System > About > [Edition | Version | OS build]

If you have a separate server set up, those details may be helpful. But if you're testing video from the same device that is serving it, then that's not a good test, as it's simply playing a local file, as opposed to something over the network.

There are users here that have used Roku Media Player as you are. I'm not one, as I use Plex server in a couple of locations (using Windows, Raspberry Pi, and Nvidia Shield as servers). That means using the Plex app. But others here have extensive knowledge of Roku Media Player for setups similar to yours, depending on the additional details you provide.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply DBDukes. My Roku Ultra is model 4660X2. I will try to answer some of your other questions, though frankly I'm not sure how they are relevant. That's because I have a DLNA server setup in my home network and my smart TV clients can play the same videos from that DLNA server that the Roku media player client is having problem with. If three other TV DLNA clients don't have any problem playing any videos why Roku Media Player is having issues?

My DLNA server is running off a Raspberry PI 4 running Raspbian version 10 (buster) and my DLNA is MiniDLNA version 1.2.1. Of course, a newer version of MiniDLNA is available, but since buster is out of support I can't update it without taking a significant outage to re-install OS from scratch, customize system and then install, configure/customize new MiniDLNA.

Frankly, I'm hesitant to take an extended outage since the other 3 clients don't have any issues. Only the Roku Media Player client is having problem.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GetFireTVNotRok 

Thanks for that. I misunderstood, thinking you were running from Windows. As that's not the case, my question is meaningless.

The 4660X2 is functionally a 4660, with different accessories (either the ear buds or remote with the 4660X2 was a slight upgrade from the 4660, but the devices themselves were identical).

That was a pretty solid device, but at five years old (though you may have bought it four years ago, in the leadup to the 4661 release; same device as well, just more improved accessories). I'm thinking it could be the device, as a software bug would probably be more widespread.

One thing to check, that I don't see you mentioning. The Ultra can connect via Ethernet. Are you connecting that way? Or are you connecting wirelessly? I'm assuming your Raspberry Pi is connected via Ethernet since it's acting as a server.

If your Ultra is running wirelessly, connect via Ethernet and see if that makes a difference. Depending on your layout, you may have to move the device.

Of course, if it's wireless that's the issue, that may be interference, or it may be a wireless adapter in the Roku going bad. This test would help determine if it's the hardware, as if it was software, the issue would remain with Ethernet connection.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion DBDukes. I'm not a fan on wireless so any time I can connect via hard wire I do. The Roku ultra has always been connected via gigabit ethernet to my LAN as has the server. 

0 Kudos
GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think I have solved the issue. I will use the Roku for a couple of more days to verify it and if it is still OK I will post the action I took to hopefully help others that may come across this post.

0 Kudos
GetFireTVNotRok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I think I've solved the problem. At least I have not had any issues in the past couple of days. The solution was to factory reset the unit. I am assuming the repeated updated over time destabilized the system. I've actually seen this on other systems. Does not happen often, but it does from time to time. Once the unit was factory reset, it has worked without any issues.

0 Kudos