Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acodeninja
Reel Rookie

Roku Keeps Repeating Endlessly

For me it's happening with DirecTV Streaming. But it only happens on the Roku stick. I can do DirecTV streaming on my smart tv without the glitching, but the quality is not as good which is the reason I got the stick to start with.
I did reset the Roku stick, but that didn't help. It is not consistent, but happens often. Sometimes pausing or rewinding a bit helps, but not always. And sometimes switching channels and then back to the original channel helps.

It didn't happen at all when I first got the stick. Since I purchased through Amazon and it's been less than 30 days I'm going to return the stick for a replacement. If it happens with the new stick within the 30 day window I'll just return it and get a fire stick instead. I prefer the Roku stick though because it has more memory and I've read online that DirecTV streaming is a memory hog and that's why the quality is so bad on my smart tv app version. The quality on the Roku stick is amazing, but the constant glitching makes it unusable.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Keeps Repeating Endlessly

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community, @acodeninja!

We understand that you're experiencing issues with your Direct TV on your Roku stick, and we're here to help.

Before we proceed, could you please confirm if you're experiencing the issue on all channels? Also, have you tried restarting your internet router? To ensure that clearing the app's cache is successful, please follow these steps:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select "Remove channel" and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

For detailed instructions, visit our support page: "How to resolve a channel playback issue."

If the problem persists, we recommend getting additional assistance from the DIRECTV Support team. Most Roku channels are managed directly by the channel providers themselves.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to assist you further.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
acodeninja
Reel Rookie

I did restart the system/device, and yes, I restarted my modem and my mesh. Since I'm getting a replacement stick, I'll hold off on trying to remove and re-add channels after restarting the device. I'm guessing by "channels" you specifically mean the DirecTV streaming app and you're calling that a channel? If you're referring to the channels within the app, then it is affecting many of them, not just a single channel.

Once I get the new stick, we'll see if it starts happening again and maybe there's something beyond what I've already done that we can try. I really hope that it just works with the new stick as I'd like to stick with the Roku stick since it has the most memory and definitely provides a smooth and high quality experience when it's not glitching.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @acodeninja!

We appreciate you taking the time to clarify the issue you experienced with your Roku streaming stick. Please let us know if the problem persists even after replacing your Roku streaming stick, and we will be more than willing to provide further assistance. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

We hope to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tyyrael77

Exactly the same thing happening to mine. I have a 4800x Ultra with the Directv Stream app. I've tried all fixes and it always comes back. Every channel is affected. Only the DTV app. All other apps work fine. 

acodeninja
Reel Rookie

The thing for me is, that it doesn't happen when I use the DirecTV app on my smart tv, but the quality there completely sucks which is why I got the Roku stick in the first place. If this replacement stick ends up doing the same thing, I'll probably get a fire stick even though it doesn't have as much memory as the Roku and the interface isn't as nice.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tyyrael77,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly with us!

We understand you are having a problem with the Direct TV channel, and we would like to investigate this problem further. May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos