Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rennwerkes808
Reel Rookie

Roku 4k 2021 stick randomly crashing

Just purchased a 2021 4k stick.  When watching a video (youtube) the video will freeze and the remote will become unresponse. There's a message that says there is no wifi connection (my router is less than five feet away from the Roku).  Sometimes I need to turn the tv off and on again and it seems to reset things.  Sometimes the remote responds again and the video will resume playing (after waiting ten plus seconds).  This never happened with my older 4k stick.  

Any ideas!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku 4k 2021 stick randomly crashing

Hi @rennwerkes808

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rennwerkes808
Reel Rookie

I'm powering the Roku with the supplied AC adapter.

I'm guessing the crashing is due to me powering down Roku after I'm done using it then turning it back on later.  It only crashes once and tells me that it lost internet access.  If I let it keep running (with that spinning thing in the middle of the tv) after about 30 seconds it'll start up again.  Weird.

0 Kudos
Mbcfrendz

I am having the same problem. Consistent crashes, I have tried all the suggestions. The device is powered at the wall, internet connection is good and no other problems with other Roku devices within the home. I am beyond frustrated. I have reset, repowered, reloaded in with no success. I have worked with customer service, replaced the device with no success. HELP!

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Roku operating system version 10.5 added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku devices. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rennwerkes808
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the advice on power options.

After checking both of my sticks both had the sleep option ticked.  

However, one stick still freezes up and refuses to reset, although I did wait only a minute (which I thought was long enough) before turning my tv off and on again to restart things.  My other stick will freeze up once after turning on but will start running again after 10-20 seconds.  

Maybe a restart would help?

I'm also running and Eero mesh system.  I wonder if that could have something to do with problems?

0 Kudos