Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sitcomics
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem reading USB through Media Player

Agreed. Were they already sharing data and then realized it could be a legal problem so they rushed an update before it was ready? Why offer “do not accept” as an option if the app crashes every time you choose it before launching? TiVo has a streaming device for $25 with a similar media player.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@atxchip you're reading something that isn't there. Roku isn't scanning your media to send back to Roku. Your media remains solely on the device. It's only scanning for media on the drive so that it can list it in the menu as a playable media file. There is no mining of your media data being sent back to Roku. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atxchip
Binge Watcher

Well, I'm not sure how much clearer this message on my screen could be: "The external media you have connected can be read by channels installed on your Roku device"

Isn't that directly saying that, say Fobu or any of the other "free" streaming channels, can "read" the "external media (I) have connected?" Wouldn't that include whatever is plugged into the Roku USB port? Why would ANY of those "installed channels" need to "read" a customer's local media?

And by "read," does that mean "installed channels" are given the opportunity to interrogate the local device, for maybe directory information? If that's possible, certainly other 'commands' could be issued.

I would, or anyone, would certainly expect Roku or it's Media Player to "read" the USB device, but that doesn't seem to be what the new message is saying.

atc98092

Sorry, you're reading far more into that message than what actually happens. That is a generic legal message that covers any possible channel that is installed that might offer playing media from a USB drive. Besides RMP, there are a handful of other channels that can play local media. Chaneru is one, however it doesn't appear that it is being actively developed any longer. But it is capable of reading a USB drive, same as RMP. There's a couple of others I've seen that can also play local media, but only music files, they can't play videos. Since they can play media from your external drive, they would all be covered by that legal message.

Is Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, or any other the other streaming providers seeking to read any media on a drive you connect? Of course not. There's absolutely nothing in it for them to do so. Google certainly monitors what you watch on YouTube. But they have no idea about any content on an external drive connected to a Roku device.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atxchip
Binge Watcher

Dan, thanks for your views on this issue! I do appreciate it. It's gives me lots to consider.

So, it's looking like Roku offers no protection from third party software, installed as "streaming channels," from accessing hardware attached to a Roku box. We'd hope all of those channels offering to do so will at least have up front, plain language requiring the user's permission. I'm probably not comfortable with assuming none of them have anything to gain, though. The Internet is chock full of nasty, dishonest folks.

On my Roku, when I choose "Do not allow," my USB drive disappears and NOBODY gets to access it. Not even me, through my Roku. Looking through this thread, I see there are a variety of things that could happen when you choose, "Do not allow."

I'll be interested to see how if/when Roku follows up on this situation!

Gary52
Binge Watcher

No disrespect to the Non Roku Employed "Community Streaming Experts" commenting on this, I'm sure you do a great job with helping troubled Roku users fix problems and are appreciated but I for one would like an OFFICIAL statement from Roku regarding these media warnings. It's obviously been brought to their attention, how hard would it be for them to make a statement to clarify the message easing users tensions and move on?

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users!

We hear you and fully acknowledge this occurring issue regarding the Media Player inside the Roku streaming platform. We sincerely apologize for any trouble this may have caused you. Rest assured that the appropriate Roku team will be made aware of this for further investigation and to fix this as soon as possible. Kindly provide us with the information requested below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, OS version, and build. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

After we gather the requested precise information and investigate this issue, we will make sure to update this thread once we have more information or updates from the team. In the meantime, we highly appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and bearing with us as we work on this.

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atxchip
Binge Watcher

Carly, thanks for the response

My system is the one for which my USB drive disappears from Media Player, when I select "Do not allow" to the pop-up warning we've been discussing. SO I can no longer play videos or pics on my USB device through Roku, unless choosing "Allow" to the pop-up warning..

Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial: YJ00AMxxxxx
Device ID: CK487Axxxxx
Software: 12.5.0 Build 4169-46
  (I tried a software update and it
   was successful, updating to 4172.
   However, symptoms did not change)

To get the Tracker ID, I attached my USB drive and when the pop-up warning appeared, I tried to get the Tracker, but no response. Then I selected "Do not allow" on the pop-up and navigated to Media Player. My USB device was gone now, as expected, so I tried to summon the Tracker ID at that point and was successful, A pop-up appeared with my system info, plus the following:

Issue ID: 61-xxxxx

Also:

GC Version: 10.1.517
Timestamp: 2023-10-10T23:11:45Z

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @atxchip,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you providing these details. Please be advised that we have forwarded the following information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim

I finally updated my Ultra to 12.5.  @atxchip , I think you're looking at this all wrong.  Nothing has changed as far as USB access.  All installed channels have always had access to anything connected to the USB port.  This new warning is just letting users know what has always been true.

It would be nice if users could specify which channels have access, but that's not the case - it's all or none.  The warning is also poorly worded since it seems to imply that the "installed channels below" will list those channels with access so they can be individually allowed or denied, but "below" refers to the two buttons.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.