Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sicjedi
Streaming Star

Re: Problem reading USB through Media Player

I’m having a similar problem. I’m using a TCL Roku TV: model 65S555, Hardware ID J106X, Software version 12.5.0 build 4175-DK.

What I am seeing is that I get that lame dialog message: “Allow access to external media the external media?”

For one thing, that is totally retarded question. They should fire the developer that put that in—and yes, I am a software developer, so I know what I’m talking about. The USB Drive is there to be used. It should not be accessed at all unless you launch the Roku Media Player—and there should be no dialog message or request for this.

For other Roku apps that want to access the USB Drive, there could be a dialog message for this, or better, a setting in Settings: but only when you use those apps.

There should never be a time that Roku is checking the contents of the USB drive and asking about it every time you boot up or use Roku. That is just stoopid.

What happens to my Roku, is that when I am using the USB drive, ever since a few weeks ago or so, is that the USB data plays for somewhere between 5-25 minutes, and then then Roku just bounces to the home screen. And when I launch the Roku Media Player again, it does not immediately go to the media that I was just using. It launches with the screen that you get when you first launch the Roku Media Player.

This bug has been too annoying, and too long in being not fixed yet: the person responsible for creating the bug and not fixing is should be fired. There is just no excuse for this type of shoddy work.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@sicjedi wrote:

What happens to my Roku, is that when I am using the USB drive, ever since a few weeks ago or so, is that the USB data plays for somewhere between 5-25 minutes, and then then Roku just bounces to the home screen. And when I launch the Roku Media Player again, it does not immediately go to the media that I was just using. It launches with the screen that you get when you first launch the Roku Media Player.

This bug has been too annoying, and too long in being not fixed yet: the person responsible for creating the bug and not fixing is should be fired. There is just no excuse for this type of shoddy work.

There have been no RMP updates for video playback for more than three years. I don't know if they're purposely ignoring it, or they simply feel they have higher priorities in other areas. They used to have a beta group specifically for RMP, but they dropped it close to a year ago, and I can't get anyone that used to be part of it to respond. I hope Roku sees the value of continuing to support it, but for my local media playback I simply use a different device. The Nvidia Shield supports virtually all containers, codecs, and caption types, so I can watch all of my ripped media, including HDR 4K and lossless audio, without worrying about what the player supports. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
csky
Binge Watcher

@sicjedi: Being a UI/UX designer, I totally agree about the lame dialog message. Probably to meet some new compliance requirements, with no concern for usability impact on users. After gaining access to my USB drive again by signing in as "guest" I then downloaded and switched to using the PlayUSB app. I won't go back to Roku's media player.

atxchip
Binge Watcher

@csky  Do you suppose that now that there's a device plugged into your Roku's USB port, it's address can be accessed and commands passed as before by "channels?" As before when Roku's code was accessing it with RMP? As I recall during O/S coding, there isn't much hardware protecting port addresses from system access, no matter who's triggering the code to run, but surely there are permission levels within Roku's O/S. Or is that just a big assumption? In other words, can "channels" in general access your USB attached hardware?

0 Kudos
atc98092

The only problem with the Play USB app, or any other such app, is that they can only play media from the USB port. For those of us with media servers, RMP remains the only option available. Roku really needs to get their stuff together and get back to work on their own app. 

Dan

0 Kudos
csky
Binge Watcher

@atxchip: Regarding "channels" accessing the USB-attached hardware, Roku's nomenclature is confusing. It seems that they consider apps and channels as the same, but it is unknown whether all "channels" have the same permissions or encoding to access the hardware. Test it and find out.

You may also find some related answers in the following discussion: https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/NAS-Crashes-Roku-Media-Player/m-p/914334

I don't store any personal content on the Roku-attached drive, so I'm not concerned about privacy—besides being a matter of principle!

0 Kudos
atxchip
Binge Watcher

@csky  Yeah, that discussion you linked to is sure indicating some RMP media connectivity issues via the USB. You suggested I 'test' whether an app has access to the USB via RMP, though. I don't know of a good way to do that, without actually writing an app for the Roku, unless I install one that's supposed to use the USB. But of course I was more concerned with ones that aren't supposed to.

You know, I didn't always have personal info on a device connected to Roku's USB, but there were times when it was so very convenient.

0 Kudos
Gary52
Binge Watcher

Well I could see this is going nowhere so I made a change! First off I use the Roku Ultra for playing content on an external drive only in my kitchen and family room, I don't stream anything. After looking at all the cheap small media players and the lousy reviews they get on Amazon I decided to buy a Mini PC that's 5x5x2 inches(same size as the Roku only an inch thicker) that came with Windows 11 Pro preinstalled for $120 and a Logitech Compact wireless keyboard with a touchpad for $25. Cleaned everything off the PC and installed VLC Player only. BEST setup I ever had for my purposes, no more issues with Roku like, apps secretly accessing drives, no more issues with playing E-AC3 audio which my Roku would never play so I had to buy an audio splitter to get audio on some files or convert the audio before playing them, waiting endlessly for firmware updates. I have 3 Roku Ultras and 2 of them are going on eBay as they are selling for $50 each so that will help cover my new setup. I know this isn't suitable for everyone's needs but fits mine, also having the added option to pause a movie and jump on the internet for a few minutes and returning to my movie. Sweet setup. Windows 11 has Casting ability but I've never tried that. Just thought this may be an option for some folks fed up with Roku problems.

atc98092

VLC is a great media player, but a terrible user interface. RMP is actually far better for that, surprisingly.

A Windows PC is going to have a lot of flexibility compared to a basic streaming player. If you decide to use it for video playback, I believe you'd have to install an MPEG-2 codec from the Microsoft store for a few bucks, as Windows doesn't come with it. There's also codec packages available online that add support for numerous codecs, and some of them are free. Windows can also act as a basic DLNA server and make your media available to other devices in your home. You won't be using a Roku player anymore, but many "smart" TVs support DLNA and could be used as a player. Most Blu Ray and DVD players still support DLNA as well. And there are numerous apps you could install on your phone (including VLC) and be able to listen to your music anywhere in your house over your WiFi network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Gary52
Binge Watcher

Agreed, VLC Player is a great app but I have never come across a video format that VLC didn't play without having to add any additional codecs to run. Just a few setting I adjusted to my liking and that's it, I just open a folder, click on the video and VLC launches full screen with resume option if needed, so I don't have any issues with the user interface because I never see it once it's setup. As I said I just play local content not interested in any streaming options. Thanks for your comments though I appreciate your input.

0 Kudos