Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blkops22

Re: Problem reading USB through Media Player

I'm having the same issue...but I'm thinking it's a piracy issue...because if it can be read by the channels on the roku...that means if it's connected to the internet and the channels as in the big media apps....runs a hit to it...and it has the movies and shows...they are streaming...might try to get you....let xfinity does now...and Sony used to do back in the day...if you had a copied movie...it would cut the sound out...jus my thoughts

MetaByte
Channel Surfer

Same issues here. I don't want other apps having access to my media. It was one of the reasons I went with Roku in the first place. I may get an nVidia Shield and pull the plug on the Roku.

0 Kudos
Raindrops

I agree with the piracy opinion.  Nothing about this can be accidental...it's all new wordage and very deliberate.  I haven't had any problems with playback but often need to disconnect the usb once or twice and reinsert to allow the tv to recognize and move ahead with reading the device.  I'm sure someone will come clean about this soon. 

If you remember, Roku was on the leading edge of anti-piracy 5 years ago with warnings.  This article will explain more...

https://www.technadu.com/roku-users-confused-after-receiving-fbi-anti-piracy-warning-on-legitimate-c...

As a result, when it's time for a new TV, it won't be a ROKU, no matter how much I like the interface.

csky
Binge Watcher

@Raindrops: Thanks for the historical perspective, I don't remember that. I solved the current issue with a workaround (see my reply here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Problem-reading-USB-through-Media-Player/m-p/9...); but I'm going to have a plan B for exiting Roku completely if they devise more ways to annoy and keep users from accessing their own content.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I'm sorry, but you are all simply reading more into that message than it means. Yes, any app correctly written for a Roku device will be able to access a USB storage device. I can promise you the same thing occurs with an Android based device, Fire TV, or an Apple TV. The only reason for connecting an external USB storage device is to play media from it. So of course any app is going to be able to access the drive because it's necessary to perform what it's designed for.

But you all seem to think that "any" app is going to scan your connected device and report to "somewhere" what is stored on your device. Just think rationally for a moment about this and ask: why? There is zero business case for any entity to retrieve and store that information. The names of the files on your storage device have no value to any business. It's not sellable data, they can't market something to you because of something they see on your drive. There's simply no reason for it. So why would they bother? The answer is, they won't. It takes time and money to develop applications for your Roku device, and there's no reason to expend either for data that provides them with no financial benefit.

So, why did Roku add this message after not having one for so many years? That's an easy question to answer: the lawyers made them do it. In today's society, they are simply doing everything they can to limit their liability for not potentially disclosing something, even if there's really nothing to worry about.

If you still think someone is monitoring the files on your connected device, then don't put anything on that connected device that has anything personal within it. Don't have a PDF of your tax return from last year, don't have a screenshot of something that shows personal information. Use a little common sense and have nothing but media files on that drive. And it doesn't matter if you have a Disney or Marvel movie ripped from a disc on that media. It is perfectly legal for you to rip a digital copy of a disc you have purchased for backup purposes. So they aren't going to come after you for a ripped copy of The Lion King on your drive. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MetaByte
Channel Surfer

@Raindrops: I haven't seen that message on my Roku yet. Thanks for the info. 👍🏻

0 Kudos
MetaByte
Channel Surfer

@atc98092: Thanks for the detailed message explaining the new alert re: other apps having access to my RMP media. I guess I won't worry too much about it, as I don't pirate material. I do, however, have family photos and home videos that we occasionally watch, and with all the bad actors out there, I hate to have these shared with other apps.

0 Kudos
atxchip
Binge Watcher

@MetaByte  Yes, the privacy issue did force me to invest (small price) in a standalone media player for special occasions (family gatherings, other non-fiction people oriented keepsakes). For those occasions, I use the standalone player - no wifi, no network connection, means no Internet exposure. A small hassle but darn sure worth it. Hardware player is only 2" x 2" x 1/2" ...takes up practically no room at all.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@MetaByte wrote:

I do, however, have family photos and home videos that we occasionally watch, and with all the bad actors out there, I hate to have these shared with other apps.

But remember, the bad actors are looking for ways to make (steal) money. Your personal photos and videos do not provide them with anything that they could sell to anyone, so there's really nothing to worry about there.

If you want total security, then you can do what @atxchip suggests with a portable media player that isn't connected to any network.

There is of course a second method that doesn't mean you need a different player. Roku devices (as well as most other networked media players) support media playback from a DLNA server. If you have a Windows PC on your network, you already have a DLNA server available, as the Windows Media Player will also provide a server on the network. In my humble opinion the Windows DLNA server is terrible, as it provides almost no control over what it can do. If all your media is already supported by Roku devices (which they would be if they will play from a USB drive) then the Windows server is sufficient. But if you'd like more control, or the ability to watch media that the Roku doesn't support natively, then you need a better DLNA server. Fortunately, there's plenty available for free on the Internet. I support Serviio (https://www.serviio.org) but there are certainly others. I know Serviio works well with Roku devices because I'm the author of the profiles that are included with Serviio for Roku devices. 

The advantage to using a media server such as a DLNA server is that it makes your media available to any supported device on your home network. So almost any "Smart" TV, Blu Ray player, or streaming media player (like a Roku) can access your media. You don't need to move a drive between TVs to watch something on a different set. But it's also extremely secure because the DLNA protocol will not route over a public network like the Internet, so no one can hack your DLNA server and retrieve the data via DLNA. 

I have almost 6500 video files on my media server, mostly ripped DVD and Blu Ray movies and TV shows. I can watch any of them from any TV in my house, since I have a Roku or Nvidia Shield on every one of them. The TVs themselves can also stream from my server, although the user interface on them is terrible, which is one of the reasons I got a media player in the first place. 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MetaByte
Channel Surfer

@atxchip: Thanks for the info on the small player that isn't connected to the internet. I'm going to look at my options and either use your method, or use a DLNA server, as suggested by @atc98092. Thanks again for the suggestion. 😊

0 Kudos