Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playback from USB device just spins

I have a USB thumb drive formatted ntfs, (also tried exFAT) and loaded a couple of mp4 movies on it.

I plug it in, it is recognized, roku media player can see the movie file, but when I click on it to play it, it gets to 33% and just keeps spinning. I've tried this with multiple different files. Same result. The model is a 4800x. Any ideas? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Playback from USB device just spins

More than likely it's the codec within the MP4 container. Remember a container can hold more than one type of codec. Usually MP4 has AVC/H.264 video, but not always. Roku devices have a limited number of supported audio and video codecs. Try running your file through something like Handbrake and make certain it has H.264 video and AC3 or AAC audio and it should play fine.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Re: Playback from USB device just spins

Ah ok that makes sense. I use handbrake a lot I will try that.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.