Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture works great as soon as I hit play in any app picture no longer shows just audio

How did you fix it? My aunt is having same problem. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
scatpiper
Channel Surfer

Re: Picture works great as soon as I hit play in any app picture no longer shows just audio

I have the exact same issue on my Roku Express purchased and installed on May 18, 2024.  It worked fine for a few days, the the video playback went blank after only 3 or 4 days of use.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Picture works great as soon as I hit play in any app picture no longer shows just audio

Hi @scatpiper @Peysmama0918,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the playback issue you're encountering. We would appreciate more details to better address this matter.

If this is an issue within a single channel channel itself, you can try the steps below.

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: You can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
  • Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If this is a multiple playback issue, you can perform a system restart on the device by navigating to Settings > System > Power (if available) > System restart.

For additional support, you can check it here: How to resolve a channel playback issue.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scatpiper
Channel Surfer

None of these steps fix the problem, thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @scatpiper!

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you have performed, and we want to further investigate this problem that you had with the Roku Express. How far is your Roku device from your network router? Is this happening on all channels and contents, or is it isolated? (Specify) Do you have cellular data so we can try
connecting your device to your hotspot?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scatpiper
Channel Surfer

It's about 50 feet from the router.

It happens on all channels

I set up my phone's hotspot and connected the Roku to it.  Did not correct the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the additional information, @scatpiper!

Please try moving your Roku Express and router closer to each other. This will strengthen the wireless signal. If this is not an ideal long-term solution, at least try moving the devices closer temporarily to verify the signal strength is the problem. Sometimes, moving each device, even for a short distance, may make a difference.

You may also want to check out this support article here on how to improve the Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection to your Roku streaming device.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,
John
John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scatpiper
Channel Surfer

Doubt that will help.  When I connected to my mobile hotspot, they were 3 feet apart and signal strength was excellent.

0 Kudos
scatpiper
Channel Surfer

Walmart replaced my unit for free because I claimed it was defective, which I believe is the case.  Remember it worked great for 2 or 3 days then started misbehaving.  I swapped out the unit and remote and it's working great.  I notice it gets fairly warm even when the TV is off.  Could that be degrading some on the electronics?  We'll see if the problem replicates itself in this unit in a few days.

scatpiper
Channel Surfer

The new unit worked well for less than 48 hours.  Now it's toast.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.