Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No HDR 10 from AppleTV+ app

Jump to solution

Hi @Leow,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Could you provide us with more details about your concern? Are you getting an error code or message? Does the issue only occur on that specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? In addition, what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more details, we will be able to best assist you.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
samgalindo37
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The problem is very straight forward. When you set your Roku to not always display HDR, but only display HDR when the content is natively in HDR, then the Roku Apple TV fails to display any HDR at all when it is supposed to.

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Good Morning, Chel.

Thanks for following up with my issue.

1. The issue I am having is specific to the Apple TV+ (ATV+) app on my latest generation Roku Ultra, with my HDR10+ display (JVC DLA NP5 Projector). Ever since the  ATV+ was last updated, around January 8th, all content from the ATV+ app is being delivered in SDR. This applies to both ATV+ original material and content I stream from the "Library" tab of the ATV+. Prior to this update, I was receiving content from ATV+ in either HDR10 or HDR10+. My Roku is set to match the HDR content of the source material, so it will not upconvert SDR to HDR10/HDR10+ and my Roku Ultra recognizes my display as being a HDR10+ device automatically.
  2. All my other apps deliver content in HDR or HDR10+ as expected, depending on the  source material. I have confirmed that Disney+, Peacock, Netflix, Prime Video, Paramount+ all continue to deliver at least HDR10 with the latter two apps also supporting HDR10+.
  3. I do not get any error code when using the ATV+ app, or otherwise.
  4. To try and resolve the issue I tried deleting the Apple TV+ app, and then reinstalling it. After I logged in fresh to ATV+, nothing had changed, still no HDR. Originally the issue manifested with Roku FW Version 12.5.0. However, my Ultra was subsequently updated to version  12.5.5 with no change to the issue.
  5. Via the forums, I have confirmed that the issue is limited to HDR10+ displays. Dolby Vision displays or basic HDR10 only displays, work fine and pass the ATV+ content in the correct HDR format. Additionally, on HDR10+ smart TVs, with the ATV+ executing on the TV's OS rather than on an external Roku Ultra, there is no problem and the built-in ATV+ app passes HDR10/HDR10+ as expected. I can not confirm this point myself, as my projector does not have any built-in apps.
  6. A snapshot from the info screen of my Apple TV+ app is posted earlier in this thread showing the specific version of the ATV+ app, and the Roku Ultra Firmware.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any follow-up questions or require anything further on my part. In the meantime thank you once more for looking into this vexing issue.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @KurtT.

It is highly appreciated that you have provided us with precise elaboration of your concern and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you with streaming.

Rest assured that we will coordinate this with the relevant Roku team to further review and correct it as soon as possible. Furthermore, please confirm if this is also happening to your other Roku streaming players. 

In the meantime, we humbly request your patience as we work on this.

Sincerely,

Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings Community users!

It is highly appreciated that you have brought this to our attention. 

We acknowledge your report and will coordinate this with the relevant Roku team for further investigation and correction. If you have observed this on your other Roku streaming players, please let us know so we can include this in the process. 

At this moment, we humbly ask for your patience as we work on this as your satisfaction and convenience are what we always aim for. 

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuCarly wrote:

Hi, @KurtT.

It is highly appreciated that you have provided us with precise elaboration of your concern and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you with streaming.

Rest assured that we will coordinate this with the relevant Roku team to further review and correct it as soon as possible. Furthermore, please confirm if this is also happening to your other Roku streaming players. 

In the meantime, we humbly request your patience as we work on this.

Sincerely,

Carly

Hi Carly,

While I have a number of other older Roku devices, none of these other devices support HDR10+. Similarly, my JVC DLA-NP5 projector is the only display in my household that supports HDR10+. So I am unable to confirm first hand whether this issue affects other Roku streaming players. However, on the various forums and community supports groups, I have seen a number of similar reports of the same issue affecting external Roku streaming devices when paired with HDR10+ displays.

I do appreciate Roku looking into this, although as I mentioned the issue only affect the Apple TV+ app, and only manifested with the last update of that app which occurred around January 8, 2024.

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I’m checking in to see if Roku has any update for us any information please?

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Randy,

I have not heard any updates on this issue. I strongly suspect that Apple will be required to correct the HDR handling in their app, as I don't think it's a problem with the Roku HW or FW.

At least Roku has been made aware of the problem and hopefully they can communicate that information to Apple, with a corporate request that they investigate and resolve the issue.

In the meantime it would help if you list your Roku device type and TV display model along with the HDR capability (HDR10, HDR10+, DV etc). I suspect that you have a Samsung TV but confirmation would be helpful.

randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a Roku ultra and a Roku express 4k.  QN90A Samsung which is HDR 10+ compatible connected to the ultra but the express 4K is connected to a Samsung that is only HDR compatible.  Not working on both.

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks. Yet another confirmation that this issue is mostly affecting users with HDR10+ compatible displays. Although this is the first report I've seen of the issue affecting older HDR10 only displays. In your particular circumstance you may wish to try the Apple TV app that comes with your TV, as reports are that those continue to work. I do not have that option as projectors do not typically come with built-in apps.

I added a new Amazon Firestick 4K Max device to my set-up, specifically to get around this problem with the Apple TV app on my Roku Ultra. Unfortunately, the Apple TV app on the Fires Stick 4K, behaves in a similar fashion and will not pass HDR10+, or any HDR whatsoever. Further confirming that THE ISSUE IS APPLE'S RESPONSIBILITY and DOES NOT LIE WITH ROKU!

0 Kudos