Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kimkiwi246

My express keeps crashing I'm unable to trouble shoot it myself.

My express keeps crashing and restarting. I have factory reset device. Updated it as well as check my router. I have changed plugs and adapters. Switched hdmi cable. It is fine until i try to play anything then it crashs. Sometimes right away some times 3 mins in. This is making me crazy as i use the tv to get my kiddos to nap. I need help asap. I feel like it is a waste of money to buy another. If it only last a few weeks. Thank you.

Kimkiwi246 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: My express keeps crashing I'm unable to trouble shoot it myself.

Can you please provide the Roku model number. It is written right on the outside of your Roku device. Also how long ago did you purchase this process and from where? Are you sure your Roku is plugged in Street in the wall and not powered up by USB TV power

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Kimkiwi246

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Wolfpup51

I was just sitting here watching YouTube on my Roku device when it just crashed the light is on and it froze up at frost it looked like it was buffering the video when the picture just cut out and the whole thing just lost signal I don't know what to do I have tried unplugging it resetting it factory resetting it I don't know what to do it just stopped working out of the blue

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Wolfpup51,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Have you tried plugging your Roku device into a different HDMI port or a different TV, just to test and isolate the issue?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos