Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Insufficient Power Warning

Jump to solution

@Chaslen wrote:

... Develop a new Stick that can transform the USB lower power outputs to higher levels. Maybe we Elon Musk and SpaceX could be of some assistance.

Well, the laws of physics doesn't work that way. 😄 You can alter either the current or the voltage, but increasing one will decrease the other, along with a slight transitional loss. So you can't increase the total available power, which is what would be necessary to satisfy the low power warning. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AngelaRodrick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I don’t know the model or serial number. It’s the stick. It is plugged into my USB on my TV and the power cord adapter thing. It is being powered by the cord but it will randomly get the “low power” warning, but it’s still plugged into the outlet. I’ll unplug from the wall, and disconnect the middle connector and the connector to the stick . I’ll wait a few minutes and then it’ll work for a hour, or 5 minutes, or a week. Why does it do that? I don’t want to buy a new one I just want mine to work like it’s supposed to

atc98092

Jump to solution

@AngelaRodrick wrote:

I am having the same issue. I don’t know the model or serial number. It’s the stick. It is plugged into my USB on my TV and the power cord adapter thing. It is being powered by the cord but it will randomly get the “low power” warning, but it’s still plugged into the outlet. I’ll unplug from the wall, and disconnect the middle connector and the connector to the stick . I’ll wait a few minutes and then it’ll work for a hour, or 5 minutes, or a week. Why does it do that? I don’t want to buy a new one I just want mine to work like it’s supposed to

You say it's plugged into the USB on your TV, then you say it's plugged into an outlet. It can't be both, so is it powered from the TV? If so, that's likely your problem. TV USB ports sometimes do not supply the power needed to run a Roku Stick.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having this issue as well. Roku stick has been fine, no issues and then after update, will not after playback in hulu randomly give power issue warning even though it is plugged into wall/AC power. It seems the last update is the culprit here?

AngelaRodrick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry, I didn’t explain it right. It is being powered using the plug from the wall.  If I unplug it from the outlet, then the little connector to the wall part and wait a couple minutes then connect it all back and then plug it back in to the wall, it’ll work for about 5 minutes sometimes then other times it will work for a day or a week. Is there something wrong with my Roku? I checked the plug in wall adapter thing and all the connectors. Nothing looks damaged or bad. What could it be? 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@AngelaRodrick wrote:

Sorry, I didn’t explain it right. It is being powered using the plug from the wall.  If I unplug it from the outlet, then the little connector to the wall part and wait a couple minutes then connect it all back and then plug it back in to the wall, it’ll work for about 5 minutes sometimes then other times it will work for a day or a week. Is there something wrong with my Roku? I checked the plug in wall adapter thing and all the connectors. Nothing looks damaged or bad. What could it be? 

Yeah, it's likely one of two things: either the wall power cube is bad, or the Roku itself is bad. If you have an alternate power source (that offers enough current) to try (without buying something), that's a no cost way to eliminate one of them. If it still does it with a different power source, it's likely the Roku. They have a year warranty, so if you're within that range you should work with @RokuDanny-R . 

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Spacerabbit @AngelaRodrick 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hoss1984

Re: 5 mos. Roku quit

Jump to solution

I have a roku express not even a year old and now showing insufficient power tried multiple power outlets multiple android and iOS usb power banks and tried a different Roku usb cord still not working Need a solution 

Adamgw04

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

Using the original adaptor and wire for my Roku, plugged directly into the wall, when the insufficient power warning came on. I have tried ever possible configuration (USB  in TV, purchased new stronger cord) to no avail. 

Can you help? Quarantined with kids and NEED this to work. 

Chaslen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Hoss,

Here is my feedback as a Roku subscriber. I purchased my first Roku Model 3600x Stick, Sep 29, 2017. No problems at all except, according to the 3600 the signal is poor. The router is upstairs but no great distance

The stick is using the USB on my Panasonic 55" screen. Occasionally on Netflix there will be a buffering interval but, not a power problem. ON April 23, 2020, I started a subscription to Amazon Prime. Within a few weeks the "low power" starts occurring. Now I have 35 years in troubleshooting problems similar to the above. I also see that some people have had problems with other streaming services, Hulu, etc. Obviously these services are pushing the limits that the Roku stick can handle with the amount of power required. What I don't understand is why the Roku techs state the the standard USB's can't meet the power required  when the major reason for the stick is to use the USB. But, then people state that the ac adapter is failing also! I just purchase a new Roku model 3810R, version 9.3.0 using the available tv's USB, but have not run Amazon Prime using this new model. Finally, I think Roku needs to understand that there is a problem and stop dancing around telling people that the USB may not support the power required when the reason for the stick is to have the capability of using a tv's USB. I do like and as stated, and have purchased (3) Roku's beginning Jan 2012.

Charlen