Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malloryj35
Reel Rookie

Hooking Up Roku 2 to VGA Projector

Jump to solution

I can’t seem to get the setup just right for my Roku 2 to play thru the Dell 2300mp VGA projector. I have a hdmi female to female adapter, and a hdmi female to VGA male adapter. And it runs the idle Roku logo fine, but then blinks, and statics, and runs thru source setup constantly. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Hooking Up Roku 2 to VGA Projector

Jump to solution

@Malloryj35 

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Try:

1) Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type = 720p or 1080p (do NOT use "Auto-detect")

If that still doesnt work:

1) Using remote:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x, Disable automatic recovery

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Malloryj35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Model 3000X, version 9.1.0 build 5009-02

those tips made it work perfectly! Thank you!

any suggestions on how to get it to download Disney+, I can’t seem to get that channel, downloaded others though.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Malloryj35 

You're welcome.

Unfortunately the 3000 isnt a supported model for Disney+, and their "Roku Supported Models" article isn't specific enough:  https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=fec35d33db4f8d18a3d861bb13961921

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/The-Disney-Plus-Channel-is-here/m-p/519901/hi...

"The following Roku device models are not supported by the Disney Plus channel: 

2400, 3000, 3050, 3100, 2450, 2500, 3400, 3420"

You'll need to get a newer Roku if you want Disney+ support - The Express 4K+ (3941), Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821), Ultra LT (4801), or Ultra (4800/4802) should suit your needs.

If you're willing to wait a little longer, the forthcoming Express (3960) should also work, though it lacks a power supply and only comes with simple IR-only remote; however, do NOT get ANY current Express or SE or HD model (393x) as they are older SoCs (hardware chipset) with 2.4Ghz-only WiFi support (and a simple IR-only remote).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku 2 HD, model 3000, is no longer supported by Roku. It's extremely old (released Jul 2011), only supports 720p (no 1080p), and is so completely underpowered that it won't run most of the current channel versions. I have a 2 XS (model 3100) that is from the same era, and I haven't used it in years due to its inability to run something simple like YouTube. 

If your projector is only a 4:3 display, you'll likely have issues with any modern streamer connected to it. None of the current products available today, (Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, or Android TV based boxes) have analog outputs any longer, and cannot be set to display a 4:3 output. Some Roku users have had success using HDMI-Analog converters, but it's dependent on the converter handling the change of aspect ratio. I've never tried an HDMI-VGA convertor or adapter, so no idea how it might be handled. The fact you're seeing the Roku boot screen (the bouncing logo), which is an SD signal, shows the video path is working. But since you lose the video once booting is complete, that means the HDMI handshake is not being accomplished. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Malloryj35 

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Try:

1) Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type = 720p or 1080p (do NOT use "Auto-detect")

If that still doesnt work:

1) Using remote:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x, Disable automatic recovery

0 Kudos
Malloryj35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Model 3000X, version 9.1.0 build 5009-02

those tips made it work perfectly! Thank you!

any suggestions on how to get it to download Disney+, I can’t seem to get that channel, downloaded others though.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Malloryj35 

You're welcome.

Unfortunately the 3000 isnt a supported model for Disney+, and their "Roku Supported Models" article isn't specific enough:  https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=fec35d33db4f8d18a3d861bb13961921

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/The-Disney-Plus-Channel-is-here/m-p/519901/hi...

"The following Roku device models are not supported by the Disney Plus channel: 

2400, 3000, 3050, 3100, 2450, 2500, 3400, 3420"

You'll need to get a newer Roku if you want Disney+ support - The Express 4K+ (3941), Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821), Ultra LT (4801), or Ultra (4800/4802) should suit your needs.

If you're willing to wait a little longer, the forthcoming Express (3960) should also work, though it lacks a power supply and only comes with simple IR-only remote; however, do NOT get ANY current Express or SE or HD model (393x) as they are older SoCs (hardware chipset) with 2.4Ghz-only WiFi support (and a simple IR-only remote).

0 Kudos
Malloryj35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! 

I was figuring that was the issue, but wasn’t finding it in searches. I’ll just use my laptop until I get an updated model.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You're welcome again, and the information is hard to find because Disney+ isnt specific enough and Roku doesn't have a dedicated support article on it and didn't "sticky" that thread/post.

The good news about getting an updated model is that they are relatively cheap ($20-80), so it doesn't "break the bank" to do so. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku 2 HD, model 3000, is no longer supported by Roku. It's extremely old (released Jul 2011), only supports 720p (no 1080p), and is so completely underpowered that it won't run most of the current channel versions. I have a 2 XS (model 3100) that is from the same era, and I haven't used it in years due to its inability to run something simple like YouTube. 

If your projector is only a 4:3 display, you'll likely have issues with any modern streamer connected to it. None of the current products available today, (Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, or Android TV based boxes) have analog outputs any longer, and cannot be set to display a 4:3 output. Some Roku users have had success using HDMI-Analog converters, but it's dependent on the converter handling the change of aspect ratio. I've never tried an HDMI-VGA convertor or adapter, so no idea how it might be handled. The fact you're seeing the Roku boot screen (the bouncing logo), which is an SD signal, shows the video path is working. But since you lose the video once booting is complete, that means the HDMI handshake is not being accomplished. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Malloryj35
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! 

I did end up using my laptop. The hdmi converted to VGA had a green tint to everything as well, even after getting the Roku to work on the projector. And then trying a new Roku that did support Disney plus, still had a the green tint, and no aux out on the back of that Roku so I wasn’t able to get sound either. I know my issue will be buying a new updated projector that supports hdmi in the future.

0 Kudos